(1) Maria? ✓

A/N: it gets much less lighthearted here.

Maria had been sent on a month long undercover mission. She'd been excited, Fury had her mostly working at base for the last year and she was glad to be back in the field.

They'd gathered the Intel they needed, and now Maria was on Comms with Natasha and the rest of the extraction team.

"I'm nearly at the rendezvous point." She called, sliding between buildings.
"Good, we're waiting." Natasha replied.
"Shit, who is this guy?" She mumbled to herself. "This guy's been following me for two blocks, I'm gonna loop around to try and shake him." Maria grumbled after a couple minutes.
"Be careful." Agent May warned her.
"Can't shake him." May and Natasha looked at each other in shock - Maria could disappear in an open field, how come she couldn't loose one guy tailing her?
"Hill?" May questioned.
"Oh fuck." Maria muttered to herself.
"Hill? Status?" Nothing came in response to Natasha's demand. "Talk to me! Hill, update."
"I'm working on it, chill the fuck out. I'm behind Walmart." Maria's voice broke through the Comms after a terrifying two minutes of crashes, grunts and footfalls.
"We're on the way." Sounds of doors being slammed and footstep setting into a run could be heard once again.
"Fuck." A gunshot followed Maria's cuss.
"Hill? What's your status? Hill? What's going on? Hill? Update! Maria say something! Maria?!" Natasha stressed, sprinting ahead of the other agents with May.

The extraction team arrived too late. They saw five dead guys, three badly injured and one unconscious. They quickly handcuffed those still alive to take them back to base for interrogation. Romanoff and May set off to find Maria. Days later they found nothing. A week passed and all they had was security footage of Maria beating up eight guys before it glitched and cut out, restarting when the SHIELD agents arrived. A month later, Fury called off all rescue efforts and declared her 'missing in action, presumed dead', appointing his acting deputy director as full time.

Peter was used to seeing his mother glum during the month Maria had been out in the field, but he noticed the difference the moment she stepped into the compound after her elongated extraction mission and knew that something was horribly wrong. He ran forward and caught her in a hug; she collapsed into him, falling to her knees as he hugged her tight.
"Mama?" He questioned. "What's wrong?" Normally she excitedly explained the badass stuff she'd done on her mission, not break down.
"Maria is presumed dead." She whispered into his chest. Peter heard her though, due to his enhanced hearing. He wrapped his arms around Natasha tighter.
"It's okay mama, Maria's a badass, I'm pretty sure she's immortal. She won't be dead." He told her confidently.
"Peter-" Natasha clearly wasn't in the mood so Peter picked up his mum and carried her to his room - after the news he'd received, he didn't think she would want to be in the room she shared with the missing agent.

They lay in his bed for hours, Natasha cried silently into his chest as he rubbed a hand through her hair - careful to not let his hands stick. Eventually Natasha passed out from both mental and physical exhaustion.
"Maria's going to be fine. She took the full blast of a grenade and stood straight back up, barely a scratch on her - immortal until proven mortal."

Meanwhile, in Russia.

"Agent Hill if I'm correct." A tall, buff man towered over the agent. She looked him up and down; scars littered his arms, tattoos covered his bald head, accent distinctly Russian and his tone was that of a classic Disney villain.
"Depends on whether or not I get out of these cuffs." She growled out, tugging at the handcuffs that literally cuffed her hands - she couldn't move a single finger, smart.
"You took out eight of my men, I'm not letting you out." The muscle ridden man spat back.
"What do you want with me?"
"Information."
"I'd rather die than tell you government secrets." She spat, her training told her to stay quiet - but she could never resist messing with her capturer.
"Good thing this isn't about SHIELD then." Maria's head snapped up in confusion. "Oh miss Hill, this really has nothing to do with you. We want to know about your 'friend' Natalia Romanova." Maria knew that was Natasha's name from Russia, it didn't take a spy to realise these people could be one of two groups - Red Room or KGB. The brunette knew Natasha, and thus the results of the Red Room. She would be dead before she could blink if it was Red Room. That left KGB.
"I don't know any Natalia's, sorry." She quipped, realistically she knew she would stay silent and say nothing. "I know some Natalies. Some Thalias. Even some Leahs. But no Natalias."
"Think again Hill." The muscle ridden man growled, leaning over and giving her a whiff of his un-showered smell. "Think real hard."
"I think you have the wrong person." The brunette smirked. She knew it was coming, saw it a mile off, but the punch to the nose still surprised her. She felt the stream of blood trickle into her mouth, iron taking over the left over taste of the fruit salad she'd eaten for breakfast.
"Maybe this will rejog your memory." He held up an old picture of Natasha; long, flaming red hair blowing in the breeze, braids keeping it out her face, look of steely concentration on her pale face, blood slowly dripping from her eyebrow down her cheek. Maria stared blankly at it.

"I wouldn't forget a face like that, so I guarantee I have never met the woman

"I wouldn't forget a face like that, so I guarantee I have never met the woman. Who is she, an ex?" Maria taunted. The man hit her again, a roundhouse to the jaw this time. Her head slammed to the side so quickly it left her neck hurting as much as her face.
"Take another look." Maria spat at the picture, blood from her nose and inside her mouth from where she bit her cheek when hit accompanied it, leaving red spattering across Natasha's face.

She knew it was coming, the beating that followed, and mentally prepared herself. She didn't grunt, or gasp, or groan. She refused to give them the satisfaction, instead she glared straight ahead and ignored everything.

Days passed, they didn't let her sleep, didn't give her food or water, beat her more than she could count and she could feel herself dying. They rough housed her into another part of the building; took off the cuffs, deeming her too weak to fight; gave her half a cup of water and a slice of stale bread before strapping her to a chair.

The whole time she was there, all she could think about was protecting Natasha - if it was the last thing she ever did.

This was the first time I have written a torture scene so it probably wasn't any good.