School Phone Calls ✓

A/N: I realised noone else had really appeared in the story so enjoy.

Peter loved his family, but they could be very chaotic and for such smart people they were rather stupid. This wasn't really too evident to him as he was so used to it, but when they forgot about time zones and he got calls in the middle of class he really just wanted to let the ground swallow him up.

It was fourth period; Peter had left history (the teacher hated him) ten minutes ago and was now sat in his favourite, if a little useless, lesson of the day - physics. He was happily working out equations at twice the speed of the rest of his class when the ring tone Wanda had set for Natasha to embarrass him sounded out and disturbed the peaceful silence.

'Ladies all across the world
Listen up, we're looking for recruits
If you with me, lemme see your hands
Stand up and salute
Get your killer heels, sneakers, pumps or lace up your boots
Representing all the women, salute, salute!'

As the song by the British pop group continued to play, the brown haired boy fumbled in his bag to find the device to turn it off. Unfortunately the teacher had other plans and walked forward.
"You know the drill Peter." The boy sighed and handed over the device as he accepted and put it on speaker. Before he could get a word in his mother started talking.
"Hey honey. I just finished up, wanted to let you know that I'm safe and on the way home, love you." He let out a sigh of relief and visibly relaxed.
"That's great Mama. I'll see you this evening?" He questioned cheerily.
"More likely the morning, this moron can't fly for shit." Peter laughed a little, a gentle smile settling on his lips.
"I love you too Mama. See you soon."
"See you soon baby." And then she hung up. He got a few snickers - he assumed it was because the spy had called him 'baby' but couldn't be sure.

Peter was lucky that most of the time he was kept in the dark about his mother's missions until she revealed them to him, and most the calls he got were from her telling him she'd be gone for a while or that she was on the way home. He was used to having no contact with her for weeks on end. There were multiple times she'd had to go dark or simply been unable to call. He was, however, grateful Maria tried to keep him as in the loop as possible. Usually a text or two just to tell him what type of mission she was on, how long they expected she'd be gone, if she'd been in contact and the likes. But when Natasha landed herself in the med-bay, the brunette was always sure to call the young hero.

Which is why the gentle sound of Ed Sheeran resonating around the room made him immediately concerned.

"So I'll sing Hallelujah
You were an angel in the shape of my mum
When I fell down you'd be there holding me up
Spread your wings as you go
And when God takes you back we'll say Hallelujah
You're home."

"You know the rules Mister Parker." His design tech teacher told him, holding out his hand. Peter accepted the call, clicked speaker and handed the phone over.
"She's okay, extraction team turned up just in time, she's in the med-bay but we predict she will be fine." Always to the point.
"Thanks mum, I'll visit her after school."
"See you later Pete." And the phone was hung up. While it seemed like a waste of time, hearing Maria's calm voice allowed him to stay collected, she wasn't panicking so he shouldn't either.

Before class could set back into motion, Betty asked the question he was dreading.
"Why is that your ringtone for your mother? Isn't it about his mom going to heaven?" Peter remembered crying in his room thinking the brunette was dead.
"Mum went missing a while back, we all thought she was dead - including the police so search efforts were subpar, but after two months of no leads, giving up made sense. I wanted to know immediately if she called, so I put a song that related to the situation, that I don't normally listen to and isn't like any of my other ringtones. It was stupid but it helped me cope back then. We've got her back since. I guess I forgot to change it again."