Chapter Seven: The Hunt Continues

(Dean's POV)

    Dean walked through the motel door with dinner in hand just as Jessica started jumping around and attempting to high-five Sam, but it looked like it didn't quite work. That's what he guessed anyway as he watched Sam stagger back from the tiny girl. Sam hadn't looked like he was expecting it when she decked him in the face. 

    Dean failed to hide the grin on his face.

    "Sorry, Sam." Jessica said with a grimace on her face as she scratched the back of her neck. The elder Winchester was taken aback and honestly tried his very hardest not to laugh. It looked like Jessica could hold her own.

    "Do I wanna know?" He asked as he shut the door, both turned to him and Jess shook her head at him.

     She moved over to him and Dean flinched and sat the food down. He wondered if he was gonna be slapped as well. Nothing happened so he started dishing out respective foods to everyone.

    Dean wasn't scared of the young woman but even he knew not to get on the bad side of any lady least he be met with full force. Something about Jessica reminded the hunter of Jo Harvelle...excitable and determined to help.

    Sam instantly started chewing on his salad while holding an ice pack on the portion of his face where Jessica had hit him. 'Must've been a harder hit than it looked.' Dean thought as he opened the wrapper on his sandwich. Jessica took a drink of her cola and said.

    "Sam figured it out."

    "What did he-," Jess interrupted him by shoving a handful of fries at his face.

    "Dean if you're going to keep talking then I can't tell you what's going on." she huffed.

    "Yeah Dean, listen to her before she hits you and we both have bruises because of her." Sam complained between a mouth full of salad. Jess sheepishly apologized again and looked to both of them from her seat.

    "So anyway, both of us ran into multiple dead ends after searching for a while. There was literally nothing on the internet which was a little disheartening. Originally he started looking into Pestilence but nothing was turning up so Sam thought it may've had something to do with zombies, hence the dead vegetation, but it was a bust. After a while, Sam and I found a mediocre website about 'equine' monsters. I didn't even know that was a thing but the internet is a crazy place and-"

    "Anyway." Dean interrupted trying to lead the girl back on track.

    "Right anyway, turns out this guy Doug has devoted his life to studying the supernatural." Jess finished as she took a bite of her sandwich. Sam sat his water bottle down before adding onto this spiel.

    "I didn't want to call Bobby because he and Rufus are busy doing that job in Seattle. So, I'm thinking this guy Doug could be our ticket to finding Rachel." Sam filled in his brother and Dean nodded, throwing his napkin down after wiping his mouth.

    He had spoken to Bobby yesterday...the case they should have taken instead of this one had everything to do with the oncoming apocalypse and as much as Dean wanted to pack up and head west; he couldn't just leave without trying to help Jessica find her friend.

    It was his job after all.

    "So who wants to meet Doug?"

 • • • • • •

    (Rachel's POV)

    The sun was still shining but there was a chill in the air. Rachel thought this was odd for the time of the year because it was basically summer. Nonetheless here she was, in a cozy sweater, trying to keep the air off of her. Global warming definitely had to do with all the sudden coldness which in itself was unpredictable but Rachel guessed it was the new normal and she would just have to deal with it. One day it was eighty degrees and the next day a cold updraft could sweep through town and right into her bones. 

    She pushed thoughts like that away and tried to focus on the good things in her life. Her wonderful little home, her best friend/sister Jess, and Nick. She smiled at the thought of the young man. Nick was a dream. He was honest and kind and very handsome. And he loved horses.

    She had really grown to like Nick over the year they had communicated with each other and she could see them maybe even being together. They knew everything about each other and had a crazy amount of stuff in common with each other. She didn't want to look too much into it though because she really hadn't had the best track record with guys, well to be honest she actually she hadn't had a track record at all. During high school, she had the lowest running score in track... but that was because she wasn't the best at running.

    Rachel focused on her studies and throughout her college life she liked guys but she never took the next step and went on dates so, she stayed friends with all the guys she met. She went on one blind date once after graduating and while it wasn't bad, Rachel wanted to meet someone in a natural setting kind of like a Disney film. She was a sucker for a romantic gesture and Nick was fulfilling her checklist so far. It was like she was living in a fairytale.

    She was just glad to be out in the warm sunshine and fresh air even if it meant skipping work and lying to Jessica. She was sure that Jessica would understand because that's how Jess was. She always gave second and even third chances and she always saw the best in people. Rachel was lucky to have such a great best friend and besides it wasn't like she was going to die or whatever. She was just at the beach with Nick and she trusted him with her life. What was the worst that could possibly happen?

    Rachel just really wanted to see this famed horse. It had been her dream for years now and after Nick had told her about seeing them she wasn't going to let anything get in her way. Words of wisdom from some dude came to her head then 'don't let your dreams be dreams'. This could be her only chance and she had to take it, besides she knew Nick would take care of her.

    "I can't believe we get to go to the beach and see this horse! I mean I know it's just a horse but..." Rachel said gesturing with her hands excitedly. 

    She knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and still felt bad that she didn't tell Jess or anyone else but she pushed those thoughts aside and took some pictures with her camera. She of course had to document every part of this trip so she could remember it and show Jessica when she got home.

     "No, I totally get it," He stopped and took her hand in his and then continued to walk along, "I'm sure there are reasons to doubt what I've said but you've stuck by me, Rachel. It's hard to find someone that you have so much in common with and that brings so much joy to my life. You bring me so much joy...and happiness, I just want to thank you." He told her, making Rachel blush at his words. 

    Never had a boy talked to her this way and she was very flustered but she enjoyed the doting from him. Nick wasn't like other guys and Rachel was so happy to find someone like him.

    "Well, you're welcome, Nick and I don't think you'd lie to me." Nick smiled and brushed a stray hair back behind Rachel's ear.

    "I know we just met in real life, Rach, but I feel like we really understand each other." Rachel's heart fluttered. She couldn't believe any of this.

    "I feel the same way, Nick." Rachel was so lost in his sea-green eyes she didn't see the maniacal smile slowly creep across his face. Nick turned from her swiftly and remarked about the weather. 

    Rachel didn't hear him at all though because she almost fell flat on her face. She gave a slight cough and pretended that she hadn't almost just tripped over her own shoes and smiled. She was glad he hadn't seen her almost wipe out as she blamed her clumsiness and continued after Nick.

    "Come on, we should probably get to the beach." He called and Rachel yet again followed Nick, unaware of the trail of decayed vegetation he left behind them.