Chapter Twenty: Loony Tunes

Sam Interrupted Continued

    "This is not a good idea. I could get fired!" Jessica whispered yelled at Sam as they crept down the hall.

    "You don't even work here." Dean fired.

    "Yes I do. I clean up puke with a smile on my face, I wash everyone's bed linens, I scrubbed a freakin wall the other day. I work here just as much as those lazy janitors who literally do nothing all day." Jessica ranted, her voice rising slightly.

    Sam turned abruptly to the two bickerings. "Will you two just shut it. Once we get out of here you can argue all you want."

    Jessica facepalmed, about to say her piece but conveniently a scream erupted from somewhere down the hall. The trio all rush toward the screaming. It so happened to be the room they were going to.

    Sam got to work, picking the lock as Dean looked through the door's window. Ted, the man who Sam had told them about earlier was currently hanging from the ceiling, struggling to get free.

    "Hurry up! Come on, hurry up!" Dean told his brother.

    Sam, who was kneeling on the ground to see the lock momentarily stopped to look at his brother, "Back off, Dean!"

    Jessica grabbed Dean's shoulder, cutting off the stupid staring match. Sam went back to lock picking and she sent up a prayer that they'd get the door open in time.

    Once Sam jiggled the tumblers and the lock springs, the brothers forced their way into the room but it was too late.

    Ted was no longer struggling where he was hanging.

 • • • • • •  

    It's not until the next afternoon that they can make it into the morgue without being detected. Jessica had been on garbage detail all morning and hadn't met with the Winchesters in the lounge like they normally did.

    This job should have been an easy one. Two days at the max, but they were going into their fifth day and they were all restless. They didn't know what they were hunting and it became very apparent to Jess that the monster that was doing this had to be an apex predator and very good at what they were doing.

    Disguising the deaths as suicides alone was a smart move and made it all the harder to pinpoint when the creature would mess up.

    Jessica had checked her phone last night when she made it back to the impala. Bobby had left her a message but it wasn't about the case. It was only the drunkard's grumblings but regardless, she texted him the new details they'd found and said the next step was to examine Ted, the poor sixth victim who was currently in the morgue. He technically was the only one she could throw ideas at while the brothers were locked up in the crazy house.

    She had concluded it wasn't a vampire or a ghost...though that was pretty much common sense at this point. And no one's hearts had been taken from their bodies so that checked off werewolf. There many other possibilities on what the creature could be and though Jess had read as many books from Bobby's lore reserves as she could...she knew there was stuff that she just didn't know.

    Jessica told the boys she'd keep watch as they went in and examined Ted. It was easier for her to do this because if anyone walked by, she could just pretend to be cleaning.

    Five minutes after the brothers left through the swing doors, Dean's face popped back up through the little window. Jessica mopped her way over and mouthed to him, 'What are you doing?'

    Dean rolled his eyes and mouthed, 'Sam's playing detective with the warts.'

    The would-be janitor frowned and then glanced down both sides of the hall before pushing the door open slightly and then saying, "Did you say warts? Why is he messing with warts?"