Chapter Forty-Three: What's Dead Should Stay Dead

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid Continued

(Jess's POV)

     As they had already been to the sheriff's house once it didn't take long to get back there. As Sam parked the Impala on the side of the road across the street from the sheriff's house.

     "So how are we gonna convince her?"

     "I mean we can only try and ask if-" Sam was cut off by a scream coming from within the house and they bolted for the door.

     Sam kicked the door in and they were met with the sheriff backing away from her son who was covered in blood. Jess scanned the room and saw a man on the floor, Sheriff Mills' husband.

     "Let's go!" Sam said to her but the sheriff didn't move.

     Sam got a hold of her shoulder and basically launched the woman at Jessica. Jody wasn't resistant but Jess could tell she was in shock.

     "No! My husband!" Jody yelled as Jess helped the woman outside and away from her son.

     "Leave it! He's dead! Listen this is Jess. I need you to stay with her while I uh.." Sam trailed off as he looked back to the house.

     "That was not my son!" The sheriff exclaimed.

     "You're right. It wasn't. Listen, Sheriff. Your town is in danger. People are in danger, and we need to help them now. Can you do that for me?" Sheriff Mills shook her head. "Can you focus for me, Sheriff? Sheriff?" Something changed in the sheriff's eyes and she nodded her head.

      "How do we put them down?"

     "Headshot." Sam simply said and looked back to the house.

     "Go, Sam, We'll be right in the car," Jess said and led Jody to the Impala.

     Jess could see the sheriff was trying to keep it together. "We're gonna need weapons."

     "We have some in the car but may need more, does the police station have an armory by chance?" Jess asked without excitement in her voice as she opened the trunk of the car and pulled out a shotgun passing it to Jody.

     A gunshot echoes through the air and the women freeze. Jess places a hand on Jody's' shoulder for some type of comfort.

     "Is there someplace we would be the safest?" Jess asked her. She didn't want the woman to think of her son, not what he had become, not what he had done. Jody blinked a couple of times.

     "The Jail."

     When Sam came out of the house and got behind the wheel of the Impala Jess grabbed the old list Bobby had written and started calling the remaining families and telling them they needed to get to the police station as fast as they could. The car was silent as Jess yelled through the phone. Jess through the voices on her phone could hear the sheriff on the phone with the townsfolk as well.

• • • • • •

     Later Sheriff Mills hurriedly showed them to the gun locker that held many rifles and shotguns as a small group of the townsfolk group gathered in the room. Dave had brought a bunch of shotgun shells from his store over that the group was grateful to have the stock.

     "Is this it?" She whispered and watched Jody look around.

     "Most people probably locked their doors already. Just keep a lookout for stragglers." Jess nodded and passed a gun to Sam.