Chapter Eight: The Truth of it All

(Jess's POV)

    Doug Pritchard lived only twenty minutes outside the city of Columbia, South Carolina. Dean and Sam told Jess to stay in the car while they 'questioned' Doug.

    "I don't understand why I can't come in," Jess said as she watched Dean walk around to the trunk of the Impala.

    "Jess we don't know this guy. We want you to stay safe and out of harms way. So, stay here please." Sam said from the front seat. Jess sighed but leaned back in her seat. She knew they were just trying to look out for her.

    "Are these monkey suits really necessary?" Dean asked as he remerged  from the boot of the car and checked his gun once more.

    "Sadly they are."

    "I think you both look handsome." Jess smiled at them. Dean's eyes seemed to sparkle but Sam saw through it.

    "Nice try. You're still staying here." Sam said as he exited the vehicle and Jess gave a pout. 'It was worth a shot anyway.' Jess thought as she saw them climb the steps to the old house they were parked in front of.

    Since Sam and Dean were going in to see Doug, Jessica was left in the car and she frowned as she forgot to ask them for the keys so she could listen to some tunes. She didn't want her phone to die just in case Rachel called so, it looked like she'd be spending her time in silence. It was only ironic that Castiel decided now was a good time to show back up. One minute Jess was humming to herself and then the next thing she knew she was staring at Cas.

    "Cas!"

    "Jessica, it is good to see you."

    "Right back at ya, Mr. Magician." She said with a laugh in her voice. The nickname was starting to stick it seemed.

    They sat in silence until Jessica blurted out what he's missed...for obvious reasons she left out the part out where she hit Sam in the face.

    "I think I've heard of a similar problem once. A long time ago in Scotland." Jessica's eyes lit up.

    "Really? I'll have to tell Sam, could be a potential lead. Thanks."

    The angel smiled and looked out the window and the car fell into a comfortable silence.  He was probably thinking hard about something, maybe it had to do with why he left earlier.

    "So, Dean said you just disappear sometimes." She said to him which he nodded to.

    "On occasion, it does happen."

    "So, where did you go," She asked and then blinked. "I'm sorry that's rude." She said with a frown.

    "No that is okay. Ever since I saved Dean, the other angels have been after me. I can't stay around the Winchesters for long because my former superiors are fascinated with them." Jess looked to Cas with a confused look.

    "They have the same last name?" She asked the angel as Cas blinked.

    "Sam and Dean are brothers. I see they didn't mention that." Jess thought it was odd they hadn't told her that but maybe as they were trying to track down Rachel it had just slipped their minds. Jess laughed. Sam and Dean looked nothing alike so she never would've guessed, she had just assumed they were really close...like best friends.

     The car was silent once more. Cas was nice and Jessica found herself liking the angel quite a bit. He was not what she had expected but she really didn't know what to expect honestly.

     Jess leaned back against the seat. The past couple days had been so busy she was content just sitting here. Jessica started humming again, some tune her mother used to hum when she was a child. She hadn't thought about her mom in a while.