Chapter Thirteen: Abandon All Hope

The next morning was filled with lots of coffee and lots of lore. Jessica had managed to find a can of pears in the kitchen and helped herself. Apparently, the oncoming apocalypse was bad for consumer buying...or Bobby just never really ate.

    She thought she'd wake up and the three hunters would give a crash course in all things monster but Sam and Dean were adamant that Jessica stay at Bobby's as they went after Crowley and the magic gun to kill Lucifer, the devil. She didn't even know such a thing existed having been thrust in all this literally a week ago. Jessica thought she was handling it all rather well. 

    Two other hunters, Ellen and Jo Harvelle had shown up at the crack of dawn and were very eager to help the boys. Jessica talked to Jo before she left with the boys and her mother who stayed behind even more so. They were somewhat excited to see a new female face in the ranks even if she was brand new. Ellen Harvelle was a no-nonsense kind of woman, a quality that made even Dean steered clear of, lest he wanted her tanning his hide.

    Jo, her daughter was a few years older than Jess and she was excitable in the sense that hunting seemed to be the only thing she wanted to do or talk about. She seemed like she had a good head on her shoulders and was very nice but even Bobby was worried about her.

    "She lost her daddy a handful of years back. Ellen tried to keep her out of the hunting life but when the world's ending, it's a kind of all hands on deck situation." The old man had murmured as Jess watched Dean and Jo flirt.

    Jessica turned back to Bobby, the man was in the process of moving a ton of old books across the room. Jess immediately started helping him and asking all sorts of questions about Lucifer and the other angels. She figured she could ask Cas for the information but as he wasn't at the house at the moment that would have to wait. Bobby answered a few questions but then after telling her he wasn't the Search the Net, he threw a larger tome her way and told her to figure it out on her own.

    Jess gulped and sat, taking up the large book. She had flipped to a random page in the book and read the title. Reapers. 'Hmm, interesting.' Jess thought then a knock resounded on the wall beside her, she looked up and saw Sam gazing down at her.

    "We're gonna head out...you'll be safe here. Promise."

    She nodded and held up the book, "Yeah if Bobby doesn't throw a book at my head." She said and laughed. "Be careful, okay. Oh maybe grab some food while you're out. This place is dry." She said and he nodded before grinning at her and then headed out the front door. 

    Jessica turned back to her book before shooting a glance at Bobby who was staring at her...apparently he had heard her brief conversation with Sam.

    "She's right you know." Ellen chimed in taking a break from arguing/saying goodbye to her daughter. Bobby's face scrunched but he didn't respond to Jess or Ellen.

    "Mom I'll be fine." Jess heard Jo say.

    The would-be hunter looked up from the stack of books for a moment to watch Jo and her mother. They had finally stopped arguing. Jo was to be bait so that the Winchesters could get into a demon's mansion...which sounded crazy but apparently, that was just another day at the office for the brothers. Ellen was wrapping her daughter in one last hug before sending her off with the boys who had already left for the impala.

    Jessica wasn't paying attention to what they were saying but the way Ellen held onto Jo reminded her of her own mother...when she was still alive of course. She used to pick Jess up when she was little, sometimes if Jess had fallen flat on her face or for no reason at all. It brought a warmth to the girl who had felt like she'd been drowning the last few days.