Chapter Thirty-Four: Protection Against Demons and Angels

"After everything, we talked about the other day and seeing the boys so dejected...it made me think that they had just given up. I just needed to get out of there for a few minutes. Plus you're my only gal friend...it's tough being surrounded by guys all the time ." Jess said as she halfheartedly swung on her swing. 

    They'd relocated to the park across the street from the motel to talk. It too had a playground and there seemed to be no children's insight which was odd because it was a Saturday. 

    Chloe laughed, "Don't I know it. Hey call me anytime... seriously I've got nothing better to do!"

    Jess took a breath and looked around wherever they were staying. It was breathtaking scenery and it might be enjoyable if the apocalypse wasn't nigh. They talked for a little while longer when Chloe's eyes brightened. She dug around in her pocket. Her hand was slightly steaming as she dropped whatever she had in her palm into Jessica's. The newbie hunter picked it up. It was an anti-possession symbol.

    "Noticed that you didn't have any form of protection whatsoever which isn't smart, so, happy birthday!" Chloe said.

    Jessica rolled her eyes.

    "It's not my birthday but thank you...this should come in handy against demons...like the bad kind." Her words made Chloe smirk.

    "Just be glad no one possessed you when we were out the other day. That would've been bad and then Castiel would've killed me."

    "Oh that's right, Cas made it back but he was pretty worse for wear. I should go check upon him." She said and stood, the necklace clutched in her palm.

    "Bossman gonna be okay?" Chloe asked and Jess nodded. It looked like he only needed time to rest and he'd be back on his feet soon. 

    "Uh, also. Here." Chloe said and gave Jessica multiple cell phones.

    "Um, what-?"

    "They're Sam and Dean's from a while back. That case you guys had with those kids messing around with witchcraft and the occult. Anyway, there was never really a good time you give them back so yeah." Chloe said and shrugged.

    "Oh, thanks." Jess smiled and took the phone. They said goodbye and then Jess made her way across the street and back to the motel.

     Once she let herself into the room they had shared, she found a note from Dean and Sam that said they'd gone to the store to stock up and that they'd be back soon. Hopefully, they didn't go to the same one she and Chloe had been to.

    Cas was still asleep on the bed when she looked over. Jessica sat beside him and waited. He looked quite peaceful as he slept but she knew he must have a lot on his mind. Cas also didn't seem like he shared a lot with anyone. Maybe he didn't really have friends. 

    The way he mentioned the other angels reminded Jess of co-workers instead. The angel had done so much for the Winchesters and for her. He had risked his life and fought his fellow brothers and sisters. He also teamed up with Chloe to protect Jessica, that one had to be against some rule up there so he deserved some friends. She smiled down at the angel and then rubbed her eyes, for some reason she wasn't getting enough sleep lately.

     "What...what day is it?" Jess heard Cas ask and jumped at his gravelly voice.

    "Oh, Cas! Uh, you've been out since you got back. That was a few hours ago and... I think you were gone for a day or so...I'm not really sure how the time travel works." She said rather quickly.

    "Dean... where is Dean?" He almost asked in a frantic manner and Jess looked over at the door.

    "Uh, he went to the store with Sam. They'll be back soon." Jess said and he blinked. He tried to sit up but she put a hand on his shoulder.