5

Chris' p.o.v

"She has a kid!?" It seemed Scott was even more shocked by this new development in Kitty's case than I was.

"Yeah, a cute one. She's two years old, and will talk your ear off if you'll let her. Her eyes match her mom's, just like her nose, but most of the other features must come from her father."

"So what? The girl you like has a kid that she didn't tell you about. Why aren't you freaking out?" He had a point. This news should do something in me towards her, but it hasn't changed anything. I still feel the same about Kitty now as I did before, and this just gives me a reason for why she was so closed off, so if anything I'm happier.

"I don't know Scotty, it just feels like a minuscule thing when I look at the big picture. Jaylee is young enough that if we were to pursue a relationship it wouldn't be a big deal for me to become her father, not to mention the dad was never in the picture."

"Let me get this straight, you're not phased by this at all?" I pursed my lips and shook my head.

"No, I really like this girl Scott, her having a kid isn't going to be enough to turn me away. Besides, I like kids, I've been wanting kids, so what if the kids not mine?" Scott huffed, rubbing his temples like he was developing a headache from this conversation.

"Let's go see Ma."

"What?" His random change of subject threw me off.

"Let's go see our mother. Right now, come on." Scott stood up from the couch and walked to the door, motioning for me to follow when I just continued to stand in my spot. He didn't say a word the entire drive to my parents house, getting straight out of the car as soon as we pulled up. When we walked inside the house, he brought me to the living room, pushed me onto the couch, then began pacing in front of me. "Ma! Can you come 'ere for a sec?"

Our mother walked into the room with a look of surprise on her face, probably not even knowing we were in here. She noticed how worried Scotty looked, and how dumbfounded I looked, seemingly piecing together that something was up. Without further ado, she walked the rest of the way into the room, sitting next to me on the couch and patting my leg.

"Yes Scotty?" 

"I need you to talk some sense into Chris."

"Oh, Scott!" I reprimanded when I realized what we'd come here for. "I don't need an intervention! There's nothing wrong with the way I'm feeling, and there's nothing wrong with her."

"How do you know that!? You said yourself that you know next to nothing about her, and now you find out this major news and it doesn't make you hesitate at all? That's not normal Chris!"

"Her?" We both turned to look at my mother when she spoke. I think we both forgot she was there for a moment.

"Yes, her. Chris has this unhealthy infatuation with a girl fourteen years younger than him, who also has a kid! He told me himself that she's closed off and has a lot of walls, in turn meaning she has secrets, and when you add the development of her having a kid, it means she probably has some sort of past as well."

"Who doesn't Scott!? I know I do, I know you do, I know everybody does to some extent, so what the hell does it matter, huh?" I hated fighting with people, especially my brother, but I just couldn't understand what he had against Kitty. He's never even met her! Scott looked ready to respond when our ma cleared her throat to get out attention.

"Okay boys, let's settle down and talk this out calmly. Chris, why don't you go first and tell me a little bit about this girl, then Scott you can express your reservations towards her and we'll figure this out peacefully." We both nodded, Scott going to sit in the arm chair next to the couch we were on.