Chapter Thirteen

5...4...3...2...1...

"YOU. DID. WHAT!"

I covered my mouth trying to hide my smile.

Mom was so predictable.

"He's bringing a friend" I added frowning.

Who could he bring?

I hope it's not a girl!!

My eyes widened and I slapped myself on the forehead for the billionth time today.

Mom started pacing back and forth in our small living room. When she heard me slapping myself, she watched me amused but resumed her pacing around.

"Emily," she said in a huff, "would you please take a look around?"

I raised an eyebrow and looked at my mother skeptically. She rolled her eyes and gestured me with her hands to look around. So I did.

My eyes roamed around the small room we were at. "Everything looks fine, Mom."

Yes.

The furniture looked kind of old and used, but every piece appeared to be in a good state, I mean, other than the chipped table in front of us and the small coffee stains on the beige couch I was sitting at, and the chipped porcelain vase that was now holding some white flowers, and...

"Ok. Ok. I get it. Our house seems kind of...used?"

Mom narrowed her emerald eyes at me, "you mean old."

"But it is cozy, Mom!" I raised my hands in an exasperated manner.

"And...it really doesn't matter, does it? Our house might be old and whatnot, but you taught me better than that!" I raised my index finger at her accusingly.

She froze. Mom blinked her green eyes at me, "you're right, Emily, I did. I'm sorry..." she looked at me ashamed. "But-"

Here we go...

"It is the bloody prince of England! You have any idea how common this house may seem to him!" she started pacing again, "not to mention that we both know that my cooking skills are not five-star rated...I'm not even sure if I could get even one..." She trailed with now a hand on her chin, thinking...

"Mom-"

"And he's not coming alone. He's bringing a friend!" She gazed at me somewhat angry.

Feeling slightly guilty, I gave her my best smile, "Mom, I'll help you, stop torturing yourself. Everything will be ok" I got up and grabbed her hands in a reassuring manner.

She rolled her eyes, trying to maintain her lips in a tight line. But we both knew that she had lost her angry temper at the tug of my lips. Feeling rather smugly, I grabbed my purse, "let's go. We have tons of things to do."

Good thing I had Daddy's credit card...

Five hours later and a few thousand pounds poorer, well not me, Dad. I found myself drooling over the Starbucks counter with Kate next to me.

"Wow, Emily, you sure know how to go shopping!" she beamed at me.

You have no idea, Kate...

A small sense of guilt tugged on my mind.

Truth is, I pretty much bought everything I liked. When I mean everything, it is in the literal sense of the word. We had to take a few trips back to Anya's Land Rover to leave quite a few amounts of bags and later tonight we would be receiving a new fridge, an amazing coffee machine that could make cappuccinos, a new coffee table for the living room, some new vases, a microwave and some cooking books from my favorites authors. Not to mention a number of clothes I got for myself and some even for Kate, as a birthday present.