[5] The Sorting Ceremony

HARRY

I hadn't noticed that an hour had slipped smoothly, me and my new found friend, Ron, had been having conversation about some random things. I told him about my life with the muggles (Non-magic folks) and how Iro is the only person whom I know that is close to being normal. – "Close" – and explained what we do in the muggle schools. It's kind of funny whenever he asks about something like it's the hardest thing to decode when in reality, it's just a rubber duck.

However, our places immediately turn around when he starts talking about the wizarding world. – "Because it's magic" – is what I always told myself whenever I don't understand something that he explained. Then when he speaks about Quidditch, like it is the most awesome game that had ever been invented, but I ended up agreeing, – "Flying on a broom while dodging a wild bewitched ball and fighting for another ball, it does sounds cool to me" – Then I asked him about his pureblood wizarding family.

"I have 5 older brothers and a little sister. Two of them have finished Hogwarts and now have their own careers. Billy, the oldest, works with the Goblins then Charlie is in Romania, studying Dragons. The third is Percy..."

"W-what!?" Iro suddenly intervened who's clearly fresh out from his reverie. "Sorry Ron, did you call me?" he mumbled. It made the both of us raise our eyebrows.

"What? No." the red headed boy growled.

"You just said Per...." He stopped halfway. "Never mind" Iro continued and shifted back his gaze to the window. I exchanged glances with Ron and smirks. – "Told you he's not completely normal."

Ron and I went on to our conversation, he continued talking about his family, then back to the game, also about the Hogwarts Headmaster, Professor Dumbledore when I came across one of the souvenir cards from a chocolate frog.

"This is scabbers, by the way," he regarded the rat lying on his lap, which really disturbing me. "Pathetic, isn't he?" Ron continued.

"Just a little bit." I said.

"Fred taught me a spell that turns him yellow, want to see?" it suddenly boosted up my mood when he said that and immediately nodded, and clearly, the daydreaming Iro too. Ron pulled out his rather cheap and dusty wand and cleared his throat. But before he could utter a spell, a round faced boy knocked at the door and slid it open.

"Err... have you seen my toad, by any chance?" he asked nervously, I exchanged glances with the two and shook our heads. After the boy left, Ron proceeded with the enchantments.

"Sunshine, daisi..." but was abruptly intervened again as the sound of a sliding door stole our attention. The toad-less boy is back, but now accompanied by a girl with a bushy brown hair and a rather large front tooth.

She speaks, "Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one" with a bossy sort of voice.

"We've already told him we haven't seen it" Ron yelled, now irritated by the constant interruptions. But the girl just looked at his wand and her expression melted onto mockery.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then" she taunted, leaning her body to the door frame and crossed her arms.

"Err – all right."

Ron cleared his throat and recited, "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow." He swished his wand to his rat and a small splash of yellow light erupted from the tip. – but nothing happened.