[31] Perks of Breaking the Rules

HARRY

Exposing my almond-shaped bright green eyes, I caught something gold glinting above me. – "The Snitch!" – but no, it wasn't.

I focused my gaze and realized I'm in the hospital wing and saw an old man with a long silver beard, a blissful smile crept upon his face. And the ones I thought were the snitch is just the shimmering reflection on his eyeglass.

"Good Morning, Harry," Dumbledore greeted warmly.

"Sir the Stone! It was Quirrell – it was him all along." I blurted out.

"Relax Harry, the stone has been destroyed."

"But Flamel – and his wife. – they'd die..." I didn't finish my sentence as he held up his arm indicating to me to stop.

"My friend Nicholas and I had a little chat... and agreed it's all for the best. They have enough Elixir stored to set their affairs in order and then, yes, they will die." I didn't manage to utter a word to what he revealed to me. Instead I moved my gaze to my right and saw a table filled with what looked like half a candy store.

"Ah, yes! Tokens from your friends and admirers. – What happened down in the dungeons is a complete secret, so naturally, the whole school knows."

"Err... how long have I been..."

"Three days, you've been here for three days. Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger will be most relieved you have come around, they have been extremely worried."

My mood has rather lit up by the mention of the names, "They're okay? Ron and Hermione? How about Iro? Is he okay? – he's with me when I fought Quirrell." I haven't received any words from the man. Instead, he looked to the bed next to me. Raising my eyebrow, I decided to follow his gaze and saw my childhood friend with his untidy jet-black hair and pale skin body; lying on his bed and still unconscious. But he looks better now than the last time I saw him.

"I'm afraid Mr. Olympia has overexerted himself by using his abilities," I gulped as I realized that Dumbledore knew his secret. "But no need to worry. Madam Pomfrey has wonderfully done her job. Your friend is fine now. – Regarding Mr. Weasley, good thing Mr. Íroas here gave him an immediate first aid. If not, he'd still be on the bed right now." I release a sigh out of relief by the news I heard. But then, I remember something else.

"Sir, now that the stone is gone... does that mean Voldemort can never come back?"

"There are ways which he can return..." he began dramatically. "Harry do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have you touch him?" I gave him an instant answer by shaking my head.

"It is because of your mother. – She sacrificed herself for you out of love, and that kind of act leaves a mark. No – no! not the scar, this kind of mark can't be seen; it lies from your very skin. Quirrell; full of hatred, greed, and ambition, sharing his soul with Voldemort, could not touch you for this reason. It was agony to touch a person marked by something so good. –"

"– But the effort you involved nearly killed you. For one terrible moment there, I was afraid it had. But your friend quickly responded by your condition and managed to pull Quirrell off of you just in time and somehow defeated him using his abilities. – I must say, Íroas has a peculiar inheritance."

"And a creepy one." I added chuckling, but I could feel the tears now straining my face by the mention of my mother and about what she did for me, "But we saved each other back then." I added and gave a weak smile remembering our situation in the dungeon. Silence had passed through for a moment until I decided to throw a new question to the Headmaster.