[25] The Lingering Suspicions

HARRY

I spent an hour inside this rather quiet and shabby room filled with first year students, sitting on their chairs a meter away from each other. Heads down towards their desks, focused at the piece of paper that much likely will decide our fate for the following year.

Using the quill provided by the professors that were bewitched with an Anti-cheating spell, I kept scribbling on my parchment until I ran out of ideas about the batty old wizard who invented the self-stirring cauldrons. A moment later, the shimmering transparent body of Professor Binns, our Ghost History of Magic teacher announced that the time was over and handed our test papers.

"At last! All we have to do is to wait for the results next week." My read-headed friend burst out in pleasure.

"Mione, stop fidgeting. The exams are over."

"I think I misinterpreted the question in number 7, Iro."

"Oh, rubbish! You would still be on top of the class." He retorted, "Anyways, we have to go now." Iro continued and instantly answered back by Hermione with a nod.

"Yeah! I'm starving." Ron added and I hummed in agreement. He and I started to walk towards the direction of the Great Hall when a nervous, immediate voice spoke.

"Oh, sorry. Hermione and I have... uhm... plans" I looked at Iro who's now exchanging glances with the bushy-brown haired girl.

"Yeah! Sorry, we'll catch you up later." Hermione anxiously added. I narrowed my eyes at them suspiciously.

"And where are you two going?" I asked, reflecting my suspecting feeling to my face.

"Err... we... uhm McGonagall has... asked our assistance for something...uhm yeah! She did."

"Why would she need assistance from the two of you?"

"We don't know. She asked us this morning." Before I could utter a word, Ron interjected.

"Let's go Harry. You know these two are the best in Transfiguration. McGonagall must have needed something from them." I pondered for a moment and nodded, though I'm still not convinced what he justified. Even if they excelled in that class, there are still other higher year students who are more well knowledgeable and more experience.

'There is something. And I'm going to find out.' I noted in my mind and bid farewell to my two suspicious friends. We parted our ways and went in opposite directions.

"Don't you think those two are odd? They're acting like they are keeping something." I asked the tall and freckled person walking beside me when Hermione and Iro are out of sight.

"Those two are insane book nerds and crazy, especially Hermione but I don't think there's something wrong. McGonagall must have really needed their presence. And why the bloody hell would they hide something from us, especially Iro to you?"

"But didn't you notice? They always talk to each other secretly and when someone is nearby, they lower their voices. Plus, I caught them several times, talking about waiting for something to happen."

"Rubbish! You know what I think Harry, you're just jealous of Hermione." I raised my eyebrow at him and stopped from walking.

"Why would I?"

"Because you and Iro are best friends. You two are practically inseparable when the school year starts, but now, he mostly spent his time with her, and you feel left behind so you think that they are both keeping something from you..." He paused as he caught the sharp glare, I constantly threw at him, "But it's understandable Harry, you two grew up together but suddenly he found a new company..." he looked at me and released a heavy sigh. "But, it's not like Iro won't be your friend anymore, right? I mean aren't the four of us best-friends? Just talk to him later mate." I groaned as traces of irritation materialized on my face and marched towards the Great Hall, but I frantically planted my feet on the ground as I once again felt the sudden stabbing pain from my forehead.