PROLOGUE

Written In The Stars

Valerie's POV

"...And that concludes my presentation. What do you think Miss Val?"

Says my executive assistant, holding folders with copies of her report. She was discussing about Monteverde Corporation's stocks for the first five months after we started a new format of business. I looked at the projector right in front of me, still thinking deeply about her proposal. As she says, it's a great way to spread our company's number one goal—To help the farmers for a healthier future. I scanned my eyes upon it whilst clicking my pen. A little convinced.

"I think we need to make a few adjustments. You know what? Just leave a copy of your report on my desk, I'll talk to Dad about it." I stood up and carried my handbag, the other hand holding a compilation of the reports. "Thank you Melissa. Thank you everyone. You may all go."

After the meeting, I went straight to my Dad's office but he wasn't there. It was only his secretary, fixing the files that's scattered all over his table. He looked startled when he saw me barge inside, he's new and still trying to fit in with everybody else. I could see how his eyes kept flickering while looking at me. Am I that intimidating? I thought to myself. He gulped while walking his way towards me.

"Mister Monteverde isn't here Ma'am Val." He looks at me, he couldn't even keep eye contact. It was an on-going awkward silence after what he said. I just looked around my Dad's office, it's somehow a mess. "He went home early."

I walked out of his office and headed to the parking lot, I took my car keys out of my bag and drove back home. When I got there, everyone looked very busy and occupied with different things. As the door opens I witness everyone's busy and bewildered faces. Dad's in his personal office here at home and Mom is at the kitchen talking to our handmaiden, Sabrina, my older sister is talking to someone on the phone with her face emotionless holding a cup of coffee on her other hand.

"What's going on?" I asked my mom while walking towards the fridge to get something to eat. I ended up getting a box of chocolate milk. It was hard to skim through the fridge since it's always so full. "Everyone looks so busy."

"Your father is busy, he's organizing a party at the private lounge." My mother informs me with a huge grin on her face, looking excited and thrilled. "Sabrina is making calls for the guests."

"Party?" Confused, I drank half of the chocolate milk then gave my full attention back to my mother who's looking at me as I placed my cup down on the countertop. "For what? What's the occasion?"

"A special announcement, dear." My Dad says as he walked out of his home office. He was holding his phone while there's a cup of coffee on the other one. He seemed very busy but he doesn't look stressed out at all. In fact, he looked excited and like he couldn't wait for this event he's planning. Am I the only one who doesn't know? "A very special one."

I gave him a nod of approval before heading upstairs to my room, they were all downstairs, still busy with the arrangements. I sat on my bed and started to go through the files I got from the office today, I started to compile some of the most important ones just so I could keep myself busy. In the span of 30 minutes, I was able to finish all of my workloads so I started to feel sleepy. I washed up and did my skincare before going to sleep.

A loud knock on my door aroused me from my deep slumber. I stood up, a little stif, and walked to opened it. It was our handmaiden, she was about to knock once more but I already opened the door. I yawned, feeling sleepy again, it was still pretty early which made me feel a little weird since I'm awoken at this time. I started to think that maybe I'm late for work and all of this is just made up by my imaginations. I snapped back into my senses.