CHAPTER 04

Written In The Stars

Mikhel's POV

"You're coming with us whether you like it or not."

My Dad said as he looked at me with defeat and anger in his eyes. I was being forced to go with them to the US, but I couldn't. I don't want to. Leaving with them means that I'm leaving Valerie as well, and I promised her I would stay by her side no matter what happens. A promise is a promise. I grew up to be a man who stayed true to his promises and would live up doing his best to keep that promise and I could never leave because I love her. Loving her was an oath, I have set myself to be Val's refuge, to be her shelter.

I thought it was easy to choose between these kinds of things, I knew what I wanted and I wanted to stay by her side. But it wasn't easy at all. It was hard to choose between the woman you love and the family that completes you. I couldn't afford seeing my Mom cry because I kept arguing with her, telling my Dad that I don't want to go with them, I couldn't take the pain seeing them disappointed but I couldn't take the pain of hurting Valerie as well. Her tears were also mine, her beating was also my loss. I couldn't break her heart.

"There's nothing left for us here, M." My Mom was sobbing, she held my hand tightly trying to convince me. I would give anything up just to stop them from feeling hurt but I couldn't give up the one thing I've ever valued and that's Valerie. Giving her up felt like giving up on the dreams and goals we both built. We wanted to achieve them together. But I loved my parents, too. "We lost the business. We lost everything. We need to start all over again."

"If we need to start again, why would it have to be in the US?!" I asked. I felt desperate. I want them to understand my side. I want them to hear me out. I have never been so certain with what I want, all I wanted was to live a life with her. I never knew this was set to come. It hurts so much. I was torn apart, I didn't know who and what to choose. All I know is that in this decision that I will make, someone will get hurt. "Dad, Mom, I have a life here. I have plans. I have Valerie, you know very well that I can never hurt her."

"I know, Son, I know..." My Mom says while she just kept looking at me. She is clearly trying to persuade me. If only the decision wasn't too heartbreaking. "I don't want to hurt Valerie too, Mikhel. Believe me Son, she deserves a lot. But we need to be practical. There's more opportunities out there, how can we give you a better future if you won't let us?"

That's bullshit! I have plans for myself and I have plans with her. It wasn't a better future if I wouldn't spend it with Val. It will not be a bright future if she isn't here with me anymore. I understand my parents for wanting to risk, if they wanted to rebuild things in a different country where there are more bigger possibilities and unending door of opportunities. But it was a hard pill to swallow. Choosing it meant that I'll have to leave.

I love Valerie, I love her more than how she thinks I do. I am willing to disappoint my family just for her, but I know her too well to know that she wouldn't allow me to leave my parents. She's kind, she's selfless. She loves selflessly and that's why I love her. I know that if she finds out about my family's situation, she would tell me to go with them, that she will be fine. But I don't know how long I'll be there, I don't want her to wait for me. I don't want her to get her hopes up for nothing. There was no guarantee if I'll ever go back. I am left with no other choice.

"Okay." I faced my parents. No regrets, no anticipations and no looking back. I know what I wanted but I am not blind about what's right. In a world where I have to choose between to things—What my heart wants and what was the right thing to do—I know I had to choose what's best. I know it's not time for me to go on with what I want. My family needs me the most. "I'll go with you."