CHAPTER 01

Written In The Stars

Valerie's POV

"It just doesn't match! You get me right?"

Sabrina kept talking as we both walked along the hallways, her class is on the third floor while mine is at the second floor. She kept discussing about outfit combinations, saying that floral just doesn't match with stripes and honestly, I do agree. But I didn't respond, I was just nodding. She went on and on about it, and then she changed the topic to awful color schemes and combinations. It felt like her arguments were unending. She then stopped walking so I stopped too.

"You're not even listening to me!" She rolls her eyes in a stubborn way, I could see how she slowly sighs and then she shook her head. I massaged the bridge of my nose, getting annoyed. Sabrina is always like this, I've gotten used to her but that doesn't mean that I like it. I still get frustrated at times. "How about purple and brown? I mean... It could actually work right? Or it depends on the outfit? Right?!"

"I don't kno—" I was cut off when I saw Tyler walking on an alternate direction, not noticing me and Sabrina in front of him. I pretended to look around, thinking that he's going to notice me anyway. And he did. He started to jog towards us and when he reached our spot, he placed his arm on my shoulder, sheltering me in it. I suddenly felt warm. "Hi Ty, you're early..."

"Of course I am, I have basketball practice with Elijah..." He says swiftly while flashing his billion dollar smile. We have been best friends ever since I was 6, I know him a little too well. I know how he acts, what he wants, what he doesn't want and the way he's always late for class because he sleeps late or sometimes, he just doesn't care about it that much. Sabrina looked at us one last time before making a hiss sound and heading upstairs, going to her classroom. "Your sister looks mad. Did Kairus bug her again?"

"No, I think she's mad at me. Don't worry, it will pass. She's always so moody." We both laughed as we joked about Sabrina. Kairus is Tyler's older brother, and for some unspecified reasons, Sabrina and him just don't work well together. They're an absolute opposite of me and Tyler, they cannot manage to be in one room together. It will start another world war. "Your birthday's almost here, what do you have in mind?"

"I don't know yet." He says while shaking his head. Acting like he's actually thinking about party plans. He even placed a finger atop of his lower lip. He was really putting his act up in a new level. I laughed, thinking he looks weird while doing it. "But pretty soon I'll be sure of it. After all, I still have four days. No need to rush!"

"Yeah right..."

Tyler and I walked upstairs to attend our first period, when we got there, the room wasn't that packed. I saw Elijah sitting on the seat beside my desk and Bea's in front of mine. They are my closest friends, as close as how I am to Tyler. They waved at us and we both sat on our seats. Elijah looked tired and sleepy. He always is, though. We were simply talking about the projects from last week and then she arrived. My mood changed.

She's Clare Buenavista, her family is one of our greatest competitors in the agricultural based business world, Buenavista Group. We aren't really good together, we're like Sabrina and Kairus but worst. We never get along, that's why I'd always try my best to simply ignore her. I wouldn't want to get involved with her at all. She gets on my nerves too easily. She does that so effortlessly and it annoys me. I took a look at her before rolling my eyes and looking back at Elijah who's talking.

Hate is a strong word, you can never tell someone that you hate them for an actual reason easily, but when it comes to Clare, saying it becomes so easy. I hated her for as long as I could remember, maybe because of what her family did to mine. How they betrayed my parents and how they ruined the things my parents worked hard for. Until now, the memory of it still disgusts me, it makes me feel angry. It makes me feel anguish as well. She's just like her parents. She grew up to be exactly like how they are. She'd do anything just to get what she wants, even hurt people.