CHAPTER 26

Written In The Stars

Valerie's POV

"Please, stop wasting my time."

Without hesitation, I looked away and went inside the restroom, leaving him there. I turned the faucet on and looked at my reflection on the mirror, seeing how red my face got from all the alcohol I have consumed. I sighed as I tried to wash my face and my hands, thinking it could somehow help me sober up, I also planned to order water on my way out. I didn't know what time it was, my phone's battery died and my friends just kept adding more and more bottles on the table. They showed no signs of stopping just yet, but I know they were enjoying themselves.

Despite the chaos inside my mind, I was still focused on work. I know I have changed a lot, and sometimes I couldn't help but wonder if these changes were favoring me. My job and responsibilities in the company was taking up all the time I had left for myself, not that my parents pressured me to double my efforts, but because I wanted to keep myself busy so I could forget about the past and just pour my heart out at work. It was very stressful, but it was sparing me from having extra time to just think about the pain I was trying to forget about.

Sometimes, I wished that I should have just gave myself time to breathe, that it was a wrong idea to drown myself in my workloads, these presentations, the stressful meetings and the documents I have to constantly review. I looked at myself on the mirror, staring at my eyes, seeing how much I have changed physically as well. Then, I thought of something, that tonight... I'll let all of it go. That maybe, for once, after almost six years of torturing myself at work, I could finally catch a breather to just relax and enjoy the time I have.

Little did I know, I was inviting huge trouble. My cluttered thoughts weren't helping me at all. I went back outside, Tyler wasn't there anymore. When I got back to our table, the music was getting louder, some other people arrived and my vision was getting blurry from the bright lights that were flashing vigorously. There were bottles everywhere, scattered all over our table, some were empty and some were drank halfway. Elijah looked at me and gave me a smile before chugging his bottle.

My eyes searched for Tyler, he wasn't with them on the table anymore. Maybe he went home? I asked myself, and then I shrugged, thinking that he probably got my message now. That I didn't want him on my tail, that I didn't want to be bothered by him. I wasn't ready for a conversation yet, a conversation about the past. I was still adjusting to every bit of detail there is, I don't want other stressful thoughts to mess my mind up. I know things will escalate once the right time comes, and I hope in that time, I'd be a little more braver to face it.

"Val? Do you want more?" Elijah raised a bottle up, I didn't know what to say so I just nodded and handed him my glass. He poured some of the liquor in, I couldn't even tell what it was because my eyes felt the strain from all the bright lights. I wasn't used to partying at all, even if this was just mild. I never partied when I was in New York, too. I was simply there to study and try to forget about the happenings here, which was also the hardest part about living there. "Are you enjoying?"

"Yes..." I said before drinking all of the liquor in just one gulp, it was bitter and I could feel my throat firing up. I wasn't used to the taste at all, I didn't want to drink more further, but then... Things took a turn. We all ended up drinking more and more, than I could say I was indeed drunk. Ria was already fast asleep, laying her head on the table. Bea was sitting on the sofa in front of us, Zeiner was helping her sober up. I was holding my head, feeling pressure on it. "I'll just... I'll go to the restroom again..."