CHAPTER 17

Written In The Stars

tw: abuse

Clare's POV

"Where is Mom and Dad?"

The moment I stepped in our mansion, the atmosphere felt very heavy, just like how it always is. I was at a coffee shop near the airport earlier to let the time pass when I saw Valerie walk in. I was very dubious on talking to her about the letter she gave me since I am well aware that Valerie does not like me that much, and if I am being a hundred percent transparent, I felt the same about her. We were never friends, before, when we were younger, the only thing we did was fight and blabber at each other. After talking to her, I could feel something lifted off my chest. Not until I came back home...

My nanny looked at me with her troubled eyes, no word could ever come out of her mouth, and just by those, I know something wrong was going on. My feet dragged me to walk upstairs, to my parents' bedroom but then a could feel a hand stop me from walking, it was my nanny. She had a very uptight look on her face which made it seem more clear for me, there was something going on upstairs and I must know. I pulled my hand away from her hold but she shook her head at me, telling me to stop.

Just when I was about to ask her why she was stopping me, I heard something break upstairs and I hurried to see where it came from. To my surprise, it was from my parents' room, I wanted to open it and interfere, scared with the thought that my Dad was probably hurting my Mom, but I couldn't check because the door was locked and my nanny didn't have a spare key. We were both worried now, then... there was another loud sound of breaking. It was probably a vase.

The tears in my eyes were abruptly building up, I was feeling the anxiety build in me as well, hearing those loud bangs and things breaking made me more scared. I know my Dad would never hurt my Mom but for sure there is something awful going on inside. Then the sound of things breaking stopped, but it was replaced with my parents shouting at each other. I couldn't imagine what they looked like inside, for so many years, I never saw my parents arguing in front of me, but I would always hear them... and those noises would haunt me at times, scared for any truth that may unfold.

"What's going on?" I couldn't stop myself from crying, my nanny brought me in for a tight hug as she tried her best to console me. I wanted to knock inside but maybe I was inaudible now, they would not even hear me if I did, they were arguing to loudly and it hurts me hearing them. And I couldn't even imagine how it would be if I'd ever witness them argue right in front of me. It would break my heart. "Please... make it stop."

I sat on the floor as I continued to sob, my nanny covered my ears using both of her hands as she sat beside me, too. I rested my head on her shoulder as I cried there, waiting for the time that the door of the master's bedroom would open. I wanted to see if Mom was okay, I cared for her a lot. I know Dad could never let himself to harm her physically no matter how angry he was, but I was still scared of the possibilities that their fight was so serious, he may have brought himself to land his fists on her. It scared me so much.

Growing up as an only child to a father who ran huge companies in the business industry and a mother who did her best to juggle the responsibilities of being a mom and a wife to a desirous man, I was always lonely. I didn't have much friends because I didn't know how to make friends in the first place, I was always so arrogant and I am aware of that. It's just who I am, and I can't stop, I don't know how. No kid would want to play with me, and one of them was Valerie Monteverde. I didn't like her that much, and she didn't like me either. We're even then.