CHAPTER 09

Written In The Stars

Valerie's POV

"Is everyone ready?"

I could hear my Dad yell from downstairs. Before going down, I checked myself on the mirror and applied some perfume. Then, I walked towards Sabrina's room and knocked on the door to inform her that we'll be leaving. It's Lucio Valdez's birthday, Tyler's father. He's my Dad's friend since college so we always attend parties at the Valdez's mansion. It's also the reason why I met Tyler and became friends with him. His dad is a great man, because he raised Tyler and his brother to be as great as him.

Our driver parked the car and waited for us outside the gate, when we were all ready, I sat in the backseat between Mom and Sabrina while Dad is seated in the shotgun seat. I took my phone out so I could check my most recent notifications and text massages, it was all from our group chat. My friends are going to the party as well, Tyler invited all of us. Bea even sent a photo, it was of her beside Elijah, it seems like they're already at the venue.

We got there faster than how I expected. Ernest parked the car beside all the other vehicles and private services. We got out and started walking towards the entrance of their house, it looked really nice. What I heard from my Mom was that Aunt Emily, Tyler's late mother, was the one who designed their house. She was an architect. She's an admirable woman, Tyler always talks about her... even if sometimes, I could see hints of his despair in his eyes.

There were a lot of guests as expected. Some are even my Dad's colleagues and business partners, close family friends and even other people that I find familiar. I scanned my eyes around the venue, looking for Bea and Elijah. Sabrina just stood there quietly, looking bored and sleepy. She isn't in good terms with Kairus for some reason, they're an exact opposite of me and Tyler. I could see my Dad waving at Uncle Lucio, he was walking towards us.

"Corelio, I thought you'd never come!" Uncle Lucio gave my Dad a pat on his shoulder and then he gave my Mom a hug. They're really close friends, it made me smile while watching them. I only saw Tyler's Mom twice, I think. She was pretty, and I saw her photos too. Tyler looked a lot like his Dad, but his nose is from his Mom. The resemblance is undeniable. "You bastard, you should have come earlier!"

"Oh come on... you know I had to wait for my wife and my kids. It took them so long to prepare." My Dad says while looking at my Mom, he had his hand wrapped around her waist. Sabrina and I were right behind them as we were both standing still and listening to their conversation. The Valdez mansion is incredibly huge, it looked like they did some more renovations. "Happy birthday, Luke. Like what I always wish for you on your every birthday, happiness. Plus, you already have the money."

"Thank you Corelio, for being a great friend to me. Thank you for coming, too. Please, enjoy the party." Uncle Lucio says as he walked in front of us, leading the way. Dad was talking to some business partners while Mom's at the other table with her friends, including Bea and Elijah's Mom. I happily giggled when I saw Bea and Elijah at a table near the long one with food placed on it.

"Val!" Bea greeted me. She looked relieved to see me. Elijah stared at me for so long without saying a word, he wasn't even doing anything, he just sat there and remained staring at me. I think he finally snapped out of it when he waved at me. I gave him a smile. "Thank goodness you're here. I can't last one more minute with Elijah, he's so annoying!"

"Don't you like my company?" Elijah acted like he was hurt. He even held his chest and made faces like he was in pain. I laughed at the both of them, whenever Bea's with Zein, it's also the same thing that happens. I sat beside Bea, they were still arguing and yelling at each other. My stomach was starting to hurt from all the laughter. "Where the hell is Tyler? I haven't seen him yet."