CHAPTER 19

Written In The Stars

Valerie's POV

"He said WHAT?!"

Turns out, I was right. Tyler was indeed ignoring me on purpose, it drove me insane thinking about all the possible reasons why he had to. A week has gone by and we haven't spoken to each other since then, the last conversation we had was that day he told me that I should stay away from him. It was odd for Tyler to act that way, I know him so well that I know he can't possibly tell me all of those. Or maybe he changed... It was still unusual because all of it happened in the fraction of a second, not even a glimpse could catch that. None of us expected that, specially me.

My days weren't the best, I spent my time in walking around the campus alone. I didn't want to bother Bea either, she mostly spent her days in the library, reviewing for tests. The boys were busy with basketball trainings, which gave me more time all by myself. Tyler and I would often come across each other around school, but he always acted like he didn't see me, and I was one with great pride and ego, I didn't even try initiating a conversation with him. It felt pointless to do so, specially when he already drew a line between the two of us. All I could do was give him with what he wanted, and if he wanted me to drift away from him, I would still do it.

I wanted to keep everything to myself, I don't want to bother anyone about what happened but I couldn't take it anymore, I had to tell someone, and so I did... When I found the opportunity to have lunch with Bea at the cafeteria, I told her about what Tyler said to me and she was stunned when she heard it. "He said WHAT?!" She said with hints of overreacting, Bea even held her chest and gasped, acting like she would faint in any second now. The other students at the cafeteria looked at her.

"Hey... it's fine." I said, trying to tone down the energy. Bea wasn't having it though, I know she felt shocked upon hearing what I said. Even I was bewildered when Tyler said that, I could not believe those words came from the same person who I grew up with, the person who was there for me in all walks of my life, someone who saw every single detail and not just the good ones, my best friend. It was still unbelievable, and I thought he was just having a bad day, but he did ignore me... He acted like he didn't knew me. "I did what he asked me to do, I distanced myself Bea. I don't want him to hate me."

"You're too kind Val!" She said, looking angry and disappointed. And maybe Bea's right, I was too kind to him and too harsh on myself. Looking back on my decisions, it never favored me, not even once. Not that it has to favor my side, but I was aware that I had to do things for myself every once in a while. But I didn't, because I lived it focusing on how my decisions will affect other people, the ones closest to me. It all circles down on Tyler, who became the basis of my most current decision. I was neglecting myself and even Bea sees that. "You did not even ask him why? You did nothing wrong... you're just too understanding..."

"As long as he's happy..." I gave her an awkward smile but she shook her head and placed her water bottle down.

"...And what about your happiness, Val? Come on, I know you... Stop being a hypocrite. I know you don't mean that, and if you really do, I know you can be much more happier if you knew why, because you'd choose to understand it. I am certain that you would feel much more lighter when you know his reasons, that you would not have to wonder everyday if ever it was your fault or you did something wrong and unforgivable to him. You could have asked him, not for him... but for yourself. For your pacification. You need to be kind to yourself too, Valerie."

I need to be kind to myself too...

After class, the teacher announced that our exam week is up and we have to double our efforts in reviewing. I anticipated that Bea's already in the library so I went there too, I had to study hard for these exams, it will really help me get better grades. My parents were still out of the country for work, they were extra busy so we didn't have the chance to talk on the phone. Sabrina was always busy too, so I was always alone; In school and at home. I didn't really mind, although it feels a little quiet sometimes.