one

Sage P.O.V.

It was a cool autumn night as I drove into Tulsa. It had been four years since I stepped into the socially split town and it boy it felt good to be back. I needed some quick cash in case my return wasn't the welcome I was hoping for and knew just the place to get it. 

I navigated the beat-up dirt roads and found the track sitting in the same spot I left it in. People were everywhere and the energy was high as I drove my car around the back. An older teenage boy looked at me like I was crazy when I stopped and said I wanted a spot tonight. "You do know this is a drag race, right? And it ain't the friendly kind." I smirked at him and nodded my head. After a few moments of hesitation, he asked for a name. "Sage." Writing down my name, he handed me a paper to put on my dash. "Good luck." He shook his head as I drove off towards the starting line. 

Back in New York I tried to race all the time. I knew it was easy money and the thrill was icing on the cake. But Tulsa was different. The track was a straight shot, but it wasn't kept up with and there were no rules. I remember coming here when I was younger and saw more wrecks than clean races. 

It was mainly run by greasers, the lower class who has the bad rap. If a soc wanted to race, it would be on their side of town on their terms. I remember the guys telling me that it was a trap because they had all the money in the world to make their car go as fast as they wanted it to.

 I was pulled out of my thoughts when I saw a bright orange mustang with two black racing stripes down the middle of it pull up next to me. My windows were tinted dark enough to where no one could see who I was unless the window was rolled down. My heart stopped as I looked over to see this movie star looking boy with the carefree smile. Sodapop Curtis.

 I chuckled to myself as I hid in my car because he of all people would flip a lid if he knew who was going up against. The girl with the flag pulled my attention back as I tried to push the thoughts of him away. We both rolled up to the line and I could hear the crowd start cheering. I gripped the wheel and let out a long, slow breath as the flag was raised. "Racers ready?" Both our engines revved, signaling we were ready to race.

 The flag seemed to fall in slow motion and by the time it dropped to the ground, we were both headed down the track. Soda was in the lead by a tire for most of the way until he decided to try and knock me off the track. I gripped the wheel tighter as I focused on keeping straight. He slammed his car into the side of mine a few times and I almost lost control. I looked over to see him smirk, thinking he had this in the bag. An idea popped into my head and I laughed at it thinking how crazy it was, but it might be my only chance to win. I looked over and waited for him to swerve his car into mine again and when he did, I slammed on my brakes and watched him crossover in front of me. 

He wasn't expecting me to stop and his car flew to the other side of the track, allowing me to floor it and cross the finish line. I stopped a little bit after and rolled down my window to sit on the opening. 

The guys didn't know I was back in town yet and I wanted to keep it that way. The guy walked over to me and handed the wad of cash over. He shook his head in disbelief and said, "Doll I haven't seen driving like that in a long time. And by a lady of all people." I winked at him, "Wish I could stay, but I have places to be." I took the money and got back in my car to drive off. 

Once the window was rolled up, I took a final look back and saw Soda standing outside his car looking at me shocked.

Sodas P.O.V.

The last thing I was expecting was the car to stop in the middle of a dang race. I had hit the wall of tires sitting off to the side and watched the car drive over the finish line.

 Steve, my best friend, was running towards me as I got out of my car. "Soda! Are you okay?" I waved a hand at him, "Fine. Who was that racing?" We both looked over as this girl sat on the side of her car and took the money. All I could see was long, curly blonde hair that moved in the wind.

 I couldn't help but smile when I said, "Steve I think I'm in love." Steve threw an arm around my shoulder and I could hear him laugh, "She sure made you look dumb." We watched her drive off and I wanted nothing more than to follow her. 

Steve put me in a head lock and said, "The girls are waiting for us buddy. Let's go party this loss off." I pushed him off and smiled, "Yeah you're right." Steve let go of me and started laughing, 

"Let's hope not too many people saw who was driving. Last thing we need is for the whole town to know you got beat by a girl." I shook my head at him, but I couldn't help that I was impressed. Girl or not, I wanted to know who the driver was that beat me. 

A/N: Hi everyone! This is my first fan fiction story and I would love any and all feedback!! The Outsiders is one of those stories that sticks with you for life, and being able to share a small version of it is exciting! So please please please let me know if there are things that need improvements or any tips you might have! Thanks!!