Chapter 1

POV: Ahsoka Tano

Morning light shining onto my face blinded my eyes as they snapped open at the sound of my comlink going off. I let out a tired groan as I lazily reached across my bed to pick it up.

"Tano," I mumbled.

"Ahsoka where are you?! Classes started almost thirty minutes ago," my best friend Alya whispered in an intense voice.

I glanced at the time and my eyes widened. Sure enough, I was thirty minutes late and all the other beds in my dorm were empty. "Oh no, I overslept! Sorry, I'm on my way," I told her.

"Okay hurry! I will see you soon-"

I immediately switched off my comlink as I threw my legs over the side of my bed. My feet stumbled on the floor as I hurried to get ready, but I managed to catch myself before I could fall. Luckily, the temple halls were fairly empty and I didn't even crash into a single person as I ran to class.

Everyone in the classroom snapped their attention up to me as I burst through the door panting heavily. I awkwardly cleared my throat and corrected my posture before walking inside and making my way over to Alya, all the while ignoring the judgmental looks from everyone I passed.

Alya Rean, a shorter human girl with long brown hair and deep amber eyes, had been my friend ever since I came to the temple all those years ago. I couldn't help but smile whenever I thought back to the day we met. The way her training saber had managed to fly all the way across the room and hit me in the head or how I had retaliated and threw her to the ground with the force in defense thinking she would hit me again. Of course, I had helped her back up and tried not to laugh as I helped her back up and apologized before Master Yoda could get us in trouble.

Things had been so much simpler back then when we were younger and back before the war. Sometimes I felt like she was the only one who understood me and cared for me as much as a Jedi could.

"What did I miss?" I whispered to Alya, finally managing to catch up to her and sit down.

"Oh, you know just the normal lessons and studying," she replied.

I nodded my head and then tried to focus on the teachings of the Master as best as I could.

About an hour later, we were just about to start practicing our force blocking, when suddenly the door opened and Master Yoda and Mace Windu stepped inside. Several younglings behind me gasped as they entered.

"Sorry to interrupt we are," Yoda said.

"Younglings Dean Tran, Alya Rean, Zayla Wood, Anothy Berch, and Ahsoka Tano are summoned to the council chambers immediately," Windu announced in a serious tone.

Alya and I exchanged confused glances and then followed Masters Yoda and Windu through the halls of the Jedi temple to the council chambers.

The doors opened and we stepped inside. The room was large and well-lit with natural light. All the seats were empty, but standing in front of them were none other than Obi-Wan Kenobi and... Anakin Skywalker?

I'd seen Skywalker only a few times around the temple, but I had heard many stories about him being "the chosen one" or whatever. His name was constantly being whispered throughout the halls or between giggling padawan girls. All they ever talked about was his power and fame or his reckless yet effective battle strategies that never failed. The very thought sent chills of disgust through my veins. To me, he just seemed like an arrogant try-hard.

The doors closed behind us and Windu began to speak. "All of you are here today because you have trained hard and proven to be at the top of your youngling classes. Today one of you will receive the honor of the rank of padawan learner to Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker".

My classmates beside me all gasped as the information sank in and my eyes widened in pure horror. I'd rather be the order's first thirty-five-year-old padawan than be stuck with Skywalker as my master! I debated running out of the chambers as fast as I could but as much as I wanted to do that, I knew it would stain a bad impression of me into the Masters. I really didn't have much of a choice.

I sighed a calming breath while reminding myself I had nothing to worry about. There was no way he'd choose me.

The other younglings switched to their impressive modes and lined up horizontally to face the Jedi. I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes before reluctantly moving to join them.