Chapter 10

POV: Anakin Skywalker

"You ready Snips?" I asked as we walked down the temple stairs towards my speeder.

"Yes Master," she replied.

"Not very thrilled about our mission I see?"

She sighed. "No, not really."

"It's alright Ahsoka, it will only be a few days and then we should be back at the temple."

"Yeah, until what? Another mission? It's an endless cycle."

To that comment, I stayed silent. She had a point. Who knew how long until we got another break like we just did, or how long until this war would be over?

My thoughts were interrupted by Ahsoka's sudden, excited voice.

"Race ya Skyguy!" she yelled as she started into a run.

I smiled before running to catch up with her. I ran up behind her and circled my arms around her waist before throwing her to the ground a few feet away out of my path, using the force to ensure her safe landing.

She easily could have stopped me, but she let me do it. I ran towards the speeder and flipped backward into the pilot's seat. A few seconds later, Ahsoka did the same, landing in the passenger seat.

"I won," I smirked.

"You cheated." 

She was pretending to be upset, but I caught the small smile on her lips.

"You let me."

She sat up and was about to protest, but then remained silent. She looked up at me and smiled before looking down again.

I chuckled and then started the speeder down towards Coruscant's busy city. 

"Well?" I asked as we got closer to the main part of the city. "Where do you think you should start?"

"Did the council leave up with any information about this guy, besides the fact that he is a senator in coruscant?"

"Well, I guess they gave us his apartment address..."

"That's a good start I guess. Let's go there."

I flew the speeder towards the apartment and parked around the corner, before stepping out.

We walked towards the building, being careful not to draw attention to ourselves.

As we approached the door I reached into the force to feel inside the room.

"He's not in there," I commented.

"Where do you think he is?" she asked.

"I don't know."

I unlocked the door with a swift movement from my hand and stepped inside.

"Something doesn't feel right in here," she warned.

"I feel it too, but we need to find evidence."

We walked around the room, examining everything in it carefully. The longer we stayed in the room, the more uneasy I felt.

"It's the dark side, isn't it," she whispered to me.

"Come on Ahsoka, we are leaving, we need to find him now!"

I grabbed her wrists and pulled her back into the street. 

"I'm going to try to trace his force signature," I told her.

"Can I come?"

"No. Stay by the speeder," I told her sternly. She looked at me with anger, but with each passing moment, I felt the dark side getting stronger and it made me anxious. I couldn't let anything happen to her. She would be safer by the speeder.

She signed angrily and turned away towards the speeder.

I closed my eyes and searched for the dark side presence I felt and began to trace it. 

At first, it led me down the street towards some shops and crowded areas but then changed direction back towards the apartment and... my speeder.

My eyes widened as I immediately sprinted back towards Ahsoka.

"Master!" I heard her scream in a panicked tone.

I pushed back my fear and turned the corner with my lightsaber ignited.  

My heart skipped a beat and my breath quickened as I saw a dark figure holding their red lightsaber inches away from Ahsoka's neck, his other arm trapping her by her waist.

I saw his face for a split second and saw that it was indeed Senator Trevino. 

"Drop your weapon or she dies!" He demanded.

I looked over to Ahsoka and saw silent tears falling from her face. I knew she wasn't scared, she was strong. I could tell her tears were for the pain and fear she felt in me, knowing there was nothing I could do to save her in that moment.

I dropped my lightsaber to the ground and watched as the figure ran off with Ahsoka. 

I chased after him desperately, not willing to accept failure. I continued searching frantically until I could no longer feel his force signature and realized he was out of my reach.

My mind started spinning and my heart shattered to pieces as I fell to the ground and held my head in my hands.

I felt so hopeless and desperate. Why was I feeling this way? It needed to stop!

I lay on the ground helplessly, trying to accept what had just happened. I needed to take action. I had to find her. I... I couldn't lose her. 

All the pieces fell together in front of me and I realized what I had been trying to deny for months. I had formed an attachment to Ahsoka.