Chapter 3

Flowers. The honey-like fragrance flooded her senses. It was a heavenly smell that gently coaxed her awake. She inhaled deeply and opened her eyes, turning her nose in the direction of the scent. It was a decorated vase of wild flowers, followed by another, and another. The entire room was filled with them, and it made her wonder if she were in an indoor garden.

Her body felt weak and limp, like she hadn't done anything for days. She struggled to sit up, but her arms failed her. She glanced around and found that she was alone in a strange room. It was large, with a desk in the corner, and a few chairs deliberately placed in groups around the room. A beautifully carved wooden shelf leaned against the wall to her left, stocked with books she couldn't make out from where she was. The windows were covered, but judging by the length of the heavily embroidered curtains, they were not small. The place was elegant and cozy, more so with the sound of birds that floated in through the billowing drapes. This was a good place. Remembering the events of the last time she was awake, she felt some comfort, for she knew exactly where she was. She was in Jesus' kingdom. This was his home, and she was safe

Gritting her teeth, she struggled to get up, and barely managed to raise herself into a sitting position before a knock sounded on her open door.

"Allow me to help you."

The woman turned to the door with a start. There he was; the brown-eyed man, standing at the doorway. A smile broke out on her face and her spirits immediately lifted. He was here. Her Jesus. King Jesus. She bowed her head in respect.

Mada was taken aback by the warm welcome he received. It was the last thing he expected, especially considering how disoriented she was before. She smiled like she knew him. He tried to think where they might have met but nothing came to mind. Only one conclusion was left; she must have him mistaken for someone else. But that would be solved later. He walked to her bedside and arched his brows.

"May I?" he asked.

The woman hesitated for a moment before nodding. She watched as he gently put his arms around her and helped her move back to lean against the headboard.

"You've been bedridden for about two months," he explained. "So your limbs are out of practice. But don't worry. Our doctors exercised them regularly while you were under, so you should regain your strength and movement soon enough."

He arranged the pillows behind her.

"Comfortable?" he smiled.

When the woman nodded, he poured her a glass of water and held it for her to take a sip. Then he pulled up a chair and sat facing her. She stared at him unwaveringly, looking deep into his eyes, communicating her joy to the fullest. Her alarming blue eyes added an intensity to the look that he had never seen before. It was such a stare that he had to look away. He cleared his throat.

"I'm sure you must be wondering where you are. You're in Kumera; kingdom of the shimmering sunsets," he said. "My name is Mada. I found you floating down our river and brought you here."

The woman's reaction was immediate. Her countenance fell in disappointment. It wasn't him. This was not his kingdom. Her eyes shimmered with a hopelessness Mada could not understand. He watched her tense and inch away from him, and wondered who on earth she had mistaken him to be.

Feeling awkward, the king fumbled with what to say next.

"You've been here for two months. We almost lost you on several occasions, but you're a fighter."

The woman looked into space for a moment before finally whispering a single word.

"Jesus."

Mada blinked and leaned forward.

"What was that you said?"

The woman either did not hear him or chose to ignore the question. She brushed her hand across her eyes and exhaled.

"May I ask where you're from?" Mada inquired.

She struggled with the word before she spat it out morbidly and quietly.

"Gaina."

Mada straightened in his seat and leaned forward in excitement.

"So it is true. You're from Gaina. It's real." He chuckled in disbelief. "We thought your kingdom was completely destroyed during the Great War."

"Great War," she mumbled, her forehead crunching up in confusion.

Mada cocked his head but chose to say nothing, and waited for her to speak. Silence filled the room once more as the woman continued to stare into space, her mind clearly trying to make sense of her current situation. After a few moments, she turned to him.

"Thank you for your help. My name is Nola, and I'm from Gaina. You've heard of it."

Mada grinned. She was willing to hold a conversation. That was good.

"Yes. It's part of Andula history."

Nola frowned.

"Andula?"

"That's our world; the continent we live in. There are many more kingdoms that make up Andula."

Nola's mouth dropped. To think back home people were convinced they were the only people on the planet. She imagined their reactions once they'd find out, and it proved to be a huge mistake. It brought unwanted memories of her execution back in full swing, and her face darkened, much to Mada's surprise.

"Gaina," she growled, her voice thickening with anger. "Gaina."

Mada cocked his head.

"What happened in Gaina?" he probed.

Nola looked away, bile rising up her throat from the pit of her stomach. Before she knew it, she was heavily breathing in and out, and her body trembled with rage. Kaana's face appeared in her vision; smug and menacing.

You should have just married me, he smirked. That would have been an easier way for me to be king.

The mob returned, angry faces appearing in the crowd, thirsting for her blood.

Death! Death! Death! They cried before attacking her with kicks and blows.

Nola's fingers curled into her palms and dug mercilessly into her clammy skin. She shut her eyes, aching for relief. Jesus, where are you? She begged. I need you. Almost immediately, the image of the strange man broke through the crowd, along with his soothing voice.

"Nola. I love you. I'm always with you. Do not be afraid."

Nola's heart palpitated at the voice. She felt a weight lifted from her shoulders as the images and insults faded from her mind. But it wasn't enough. She needed more than a voice, more than a face. She needed him to be there. She wanted to see him.

"Where are you?" she called out.

"Nola."

A hand lightly touched her shoulder. She turned to find brown eyes looking at her in concern.

"What just happened?" Mada asked. "What did they do to you in Gaina?"

The princess shook her head.

"It doesn't matter."

"I saw your back," Mada insisted. "Why would anyone do that to you?"

Nola gave him a dark look.

"It. Doesn't. Matter."

Mada raised his hands in surrender.

"Well, you are free to stay in Kumera for as long as you like. It is small, but the people are friendly and welcoming. No harm will come to you here."

"What will your king have to say about this?" Nola quietly asked.

Mada chuckled.

"I'm sure he won't mind."