Chapter 29

Nola sat in the middle of her room, completely fussed over by a horde of excited women. Leading the charge was Don, belting out orders since she couldn't possibly keep up with the pace of the others thanks to her leg. Under her direction, two pairs of hands expertly handled the princess' hair, while another pair dealt with her face. Two more pairs handled her finger nails and toenails, sending her squirming in laughter from her ticklish feet.

It was three months after Lano returned to leadership, and everything was back to rights in the kingdom. The kingdom's finances were cleaned up, wealth was redistributed back to the people, and the taxes significantly reduced. Schools were made for every child, not just those that belonged to families of status. And most importantly, Paupers Village was no more. That is to say, it remained a village, but stopped being a destitute place for outcasts. Outcasts were a thing of the past, therefore the village received enough resources and aid to make it a wonderful place where people now longed to be. It came to be known as the Princess Capital for obvious reasons, beginning with her history there.

King Lano had made every effort to forge this new Gaina the right way, and maintain it thus, therefore he appointed a wise council of five to offer him advice and counsel when he needed it. These people were the best and brightest, carefully selected from the cities and towns around for their wisdom and heart. Now that all was under control, that left one last loose end to tie: the princess.

Nola was already dressed, which she was grateful for as it would be completely difficult to put anything on after all the treatments she was receiving. She tried her best to be patient, but after a while, it seemed as though they had finished a long time ago, and were now simply enjoying themselves at her expense.

"Don," she sighed to her friend. "If you're all finished, could I have a moment to myself please?"

The young woman smiled, understanding her need for quiet and shooed the women out with her flowery cane.

"Alright," she ordered. "The bride needs a few moments to herself. Let's give her some peace and quiet."

As the pouting ladies left, she turned to Nola and looked at her in silence for a moment.

"What?" the princess asked.

Don shrugged.

"I'm proud of you."

Nola smiled gratefully at her and watched as she left the room, shutting the door behind her. Alone at last, Nola took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. She leaned back in her seat and grinned before a hearty laugh left her throat.

Music floated in through her open window, accompanied by laughter and whoops as the guests gathered in the courtyard clapped to the rhythm. Unable to help herself, Nola rose to her feet and danced around her room, joy filling her and spilling out in peals of squeals and giggles. A knock sounded on the door. Nola stopped twirling.

"Enter," she called, panting.

The door opened and Vuma walked in.

"Sorry to intrude, Your Highness," he said. "But there is someone here who insists you'll kill him if he doesn't see you now."

Nola cocked her head. Then her mouth opened in glee when Vuma moved aside making way for the king of Kumera to walk in.

"They tell me you're called the Servant Princess now," he said, grinning.

"Mada!" Nola squealed before bounding to him.

Laughing, he strode forward, hugged her and lifted her off the ground. He lowered her and stepped back to look at her. He shook his head.