Chapter 9

Vuma was lost in thought as he rode out of Flame City. He was on his way to check on the warriors at Kufu Barracks – at least, that was the reason he gave Kaana. The reality was, he was headed for the Dry Woods. He always went there to think and unwind, and in all honesty, he needed a break from the new king.

Ever since he was a little boy, he had dreamed of becoming a distinguished warrior; one that the king knew by name. However, if he had known that this was what awaited him in his future, he would have chosen a different path. He hated the state the kingdom was in; everything was upside down. Kaana didn't know how to lead anything, let alone anyone.

Vuma wondered why Kaana had chosen him to be his personal bodyguard. After all, he hadn't approached him with any bribe, as Vuma had come to find out on the day the princess died. The day after she was killed, Kaana summoned him and explained the facts: Lano was no more, the Chief Warrior was no more, and Vuma, Jumu's protégé, was now the best warrior in the kingdom. He could either serve Kaana or share the princess' fate. Vuma was not ready to die, much less at the hand of such a man. So he became Kaana's guard, getting a front row seat to witness the fall of the kingdom.

The warriors were all over the place; neglecting their duties and taking advantage of the king's nonchalance. Law and order was a thing of the past, giving way to corrupt and barbaric warriors who took advantage of the innocent. The few good warriors who stood up for what was right ended up unfairly thrown in prison, forcing others who didn't agree with the current state of things to remain silent and hope to survive.

Vuma wished things were different. He wished there was something he could do. But there wasn't. Of all the warriors he knew who hated the new king, none of them were willing to stand up. They had their families to think about. Vuma couldn't blame them. He himself was reluctant to do anything. After all, Lano himself had given up on his people. The amount of betrayal Vuma had felt at the moment Lano submitted to Kaana was overwhelming. Some king. For all the big talk the man did all those years, this was what he had to show for himself. He always thought that a king's strength really shone in moments of adversity. Clearly, Lano's weak surrender was proof of his deception. He was no king; only a coward. Granted, Jumu tried his best, but the bottom line was he was no king, and the kingdom needed a king to lead them, not a warrior. Jumu was useless without a king to champion.

All that led Vuma to the decision that he was not going to take sides. He'd had enough of kings and loyalty. He was going to look out for himself. Gaina had fallen from its former glory. It was no longer worth the bother. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a horse approaching. He shielded his eyes from the sun and found a young warrior riding towards him, an excited smile on his face.

"Vuma," he panted. "You won't believe this, but there is a group of rebels meeting in Flame Woods as we speak. They are planning an uprising against the king."

Vuma believed it. He had been aware of the mutiny for quite some time now, but had chosen to turn a blind eye. It would be a waste of his time to get involved, for the facts were plain and simple; even though Kaana was a pathetic and laughable king, he was not going to be defeated by just anybody. A mere civilian-led rebellion was not going to work. Vuma was actually surprised that they had stayed this long without being discovered. They were a careless lot, and quite obvious in their behavior.

"Rebels, you say?" he asked.

The young warrior nodded.

"In the woods."

Vuma sighed. There was no way he could stay out of it now.

"Show me."

***

Deep in the heart of Flame Woods, Gandon stood surrounded by a small group of men and women. The diversity of the people present was alarming and very rare to see, for under no normal circumstance would a rich Gainan in all of his glory find himself within five feet of one whose clothes had seen better days. Yet here, status didn't matter anymore. They stood side by side bound by a strong unbreakable bond: revolt.

Kaana had become a common enemy; one that they were all determined to get rid of. If they could remove him, Lano would reclaim the throne and bring the kingdom back to its former glory; for life under the Kaana rule had given them lots of time to think back on the king they had unjustly rejected. Lano was not the cruel ruler they had been led to believe.

"We have to act now," Gandon was saying. "The longer we wait the harder it's going to get."

"I thought we were going to make contact with Paupers Village first," a woman objected.

"Paupers Village can't help us," Gandon returned, his gaze lowering. "The king is no longer for us."

The people exchanged glances.

"What do you mean?" a man probed.

"I mean he willingly submitted to Kaana," Gandon responded. "He didn't even put up a fight."

The group grew nervous.

"He's given up on us. We're on our own," the man sputtered.

"It doesn't matter," Gandon declared bravely. "Once we get rid of Kaana, Lano will pick up the mantle, or the Chief Warrior will. It is up to us to pave the way."

The group mumbled in agreement and continued their discussion, unaware that they were being watched from a short distance.

Concealed by a tree, the young warrior smirked and pulled out his dagger, ready to ambush them. Vuma stopped him with a large hand.

"Don't be foolish," he chided. "Unless you can fight all those people off by yourself, which I highly doubt you can, you will report this to the king."

The young warrior shrugged sheepishly before darting off to carry out his duty. Vuma shook his head. Such eagerness. Well. He was that young once, as well, he supposed.

Crunching leaves indicated that the meeting had ended and the group was dispersing. Vuma watched them and waited until he was sure Gandon was by himself. He emerged from his hiding spot and strode over to where the man was slowly making his way.

Gandon looked at him in surprise before scowling.

"The Chief Warrior would be disappointed in you."

Vuma arched his brow. This was a far cry from the frail man Kaana described.

"You do realize that even now as we speak, Kaana is being informed of your little gathering," he informed him.

Gandon scoffed.

"But of course."

"This doesn't faze you?" Vuma asked.

Gandon looked up at him with fire in his eyes.

"Have you ever had the truth right before you, but ignored it for a lie?" he challenged. "Have you ever held freedom in your grasp and then exchanged it for chains? Have you ever experienced life and traded it in for a death that never ends?"

"I suppose you think sparking a rebellion will help atone for your wrongdoings?" Vuma responded dryly.

"Why do you, of all people, do nothing?" Gandon urged. "You know Kaana must be stopped. How can you wear that symbol of fire on your chest and be on his side?"

"I'm on no one's side," was the reply.

Gandon glared.

"There's no such thing as "no one's side"," he contended. "You're either for Gaina or against it. So which is it?"

Vuma said nothing. Unimpressed, Gandon spun around and walked away.

"And you call yourself a warrior."

That stung. Vuma could not deny it. It stung.