Chapter Twenty-Seven

I give myself somewhat of a tense once over in the bathroom mirror

I give myself somewhat of a tense once over in the bathroom mirror. Slightly more makeup than I'd typically wear, put in a pretty solid effort. I'd opted for a strapless, dark green dress—hasn't left my closet in years—letting my straightened hair spill over bare shoulders. It's modest enough, but it's also sexy.

It makes me feel sexy.

He makes me feel sexy.

Okay, let's face it. Chaz is fucking sexy!

After his cute way of asking me out on an actual date, I called in a favor to an old friend—Zoey. We worked together when I first came to Philadelphia, before college, in my waitressing days.

She, too, has scaled the professional world. A few years ago, becoming the owner and executive chef of Devon, an extremely popular, upscale restaurant downtown. I'm talking a year out for a reservation popular.

Like many other things in life, sometimes it's who you know.

I'd never taken her up on the offer—to message her whenever, to come in. I never forged out the time. Didn't really have anyone I wanted to go with.

"Get your shit together, Parker." With a last-minute mirror pep talk, touching up my lipstick, butterflies dancing around in my stomach, I try to shake off the nerves.

You've literally been banging this guy for weeks. There's nothing to be anxious about.

But the difference is, he gave me a genuine piece of his life. Made himself vulnerable to me, like extremely vulnerable. His cards are on the table, at least the cards that give a major insight to why he constantly has the need for control. Why he is the way he is. Or was. Or how I assumed he was.

I can't imagine knowingly doing that to a human being. Or to have been on the receiving end, with a child who you believe is yours, then having it all taken away. What a nightmare. If I ever see that cunt-faced twat-whore again, it may prompt me to put her in the market for a nose job.

Anyway, I appreciate Chaz opening up to me. God knows I've got some serious skeletons in my closet.

To be perfectly honest, I was reluctant to bring up the kid thing, worried he might freak out. The fact that he told me about that devastating part of his life makes me consider opening up to him—at least a bit.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hey." Blaze actually sounds happy. His voice carries from the foyer into my room after a soft knock on the front door.

I slip into nude heels, sucking in a long breath. This is the first proper date I've been on in years. Not a bullshit, Russell date.

"Hey," Chaz's deep tone responds. The way it's low and moderately raspy already has me picturing all sorts of dirty things. "Thanks for letting me take your—" Clearing his throat, still getting used to my other name, my most important one. "Thanks for letting me take your mom out."