Chapter Forty

I finally pull myself together, struggling to stop my brain from doing its usual runaway train of thoughts

I finally pull myself together, struggling to stop my brain from doing its usual runaway train of thoughts. I can't believe it, can't wrap my head around it.

And just forget it? Oh right, that should be super easy. No big fucking deal.

And Alice!?

How could she? Why would she? There has to be more to it than that. I never so much as suspected any foul play in all the years I've been there. So why is this shit coming out now?

Maybe she didn't know?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After taking a shower, I get myself dressed and do my best imitation of remaining completely calm. Making Blaze breakfast, definitely not staring at my phone every ten seconds, waiting for Chaz to answer one of my almost fifty messages at this point.

Definitely not pacing around the kitchen, nervously biting my nails, which is a terrible habit!

Blaze shooting me looks here and there with a concerned expression on his face. I don't understand; Chaz said everything was fine. Well... it would be? Not that this shit is fine, but Fucccckkk!

After a few hours of no return texts or calls, my anxiety has grown to an all-new high. Maybe he's not ghosting me. What if something happened? Did he go off the deep end? Maybe Alice killed him?!

Okay, that's extreme.

But you know what I mean, when your mind gets going and everything keeps snowballing?

I contemplate letting myself into his apartment. He told me the new code, which had me melting—the day we met, just so happens to be the day after I signed those papers. But I think maybe that's a bit stalker-ish.

After a few hours of excessive cleaning, trying to keep my head straight, trying not to overthink. So naturally, I'm overthinking. Does he not believe me? Maybe he really doesn't trust me?

I saw the look on his face, and I mean, I guess I get it, can't totally blame him. My name was on the paper. But damn, now that I really think about it, fixate on it, I'm a little pissed that he doesn't believe me. Or maybe he does?

A light knock on the door breaks up the whirlwind of irrational, but also rational, thoughts and feelings. A sense of relief floods through me with the sound. Though he rarely knocks, Chaz probably forgot his key.

Pulling the door open, I'm met with the wide and bubbly eyed Briar, her teeth on full show, an enormous grin plastered across her face.

"Oh." I try not to show my obvious disappointment. "Hey, hi Briar." I force a polite smile. "Chaz isn't here."

"Well, hello to you, too," she replies with a playful groan. "I didn't come to see him." I notice the worry in her chocolate eyes as they glance behind me before meeting mine. "Was in the area, figured I'd drop by."