Chapter Forty-Four

"Adopted?"

"Adopted?"

I repeat the word several times, slowly, as my palm drops from Parker's cheek. Standing up, attempting to chew it over, I pace the room. Her face falls to her hands, elbows propped on shaky knees, still sitting at the edge of the bed.

Blinking a few times, trying to process. "Okay," I reply, waiting for her to elaborate, to offer a little more information than that.

The blonde heap of hair shakes on top of her head as her shoulders vibrate in silent sobs.

It's not that big of a deal. I mean, sure, it's a big deal. I wonder why she didn't just tell me? Not gonna lie here, I'm actually relieved knowing she hasn't had a biological child with another man.

Would I care about her any less? No, of course not. But the thought that we could... maybe one day...

And like a fucking bulldozer, the dates, the things, the bullshit suddenly smacks me upside the head. My father, his cheating, giving some woman money, the fact that he did all these things for her—for them. Was it all because Blaze is...?

"Wait a minute," I start, temporarily feeling winded, sick, or I don't fucking know what. I plop down on the chair in the room's corner, stunned at this revelation.

I'm adding everything up in my head. Putting her through school, helping with Blaze, is it because—

"Sorry," Parker whimpers. "I should have told you... I tried... I wanted to so many times. It's just," she stutters while I sit there with my jaw dropping.

Holy shit!

HOLY SHIT!!!

If he's...

Is he???

"I didn't know how. Blaze doesn't even know." She lifts her tear-streaked face from her hands, eyes bloodshot, lip trembling. "I'm sorry," she says again, her expression gradually changing from sad to confused as she takes in the disgust on mine.

This is too fucking twisted.

"So... he's... what the fuck?!" I can't get the words, the thoughts swirling in my head, to come out of my mouth.

"I didn't really have a choice. He had nobody. There weren't any other options."

An affair—an affair I could have dealt with that. I did deal with that, okay, no I really didn't, but this!?

And holy fuck!!! Blaze's birthday? The day my mom died!? Does that have to do with it? Is that? Is he the reason she—

HOLY FUCK!

"When I got the call, I came.  No chance I was going to let my sister's child grow up in and out of the system. I wasn't going to allow him to feel like no one wanted him. That's probably why I never told him. I don't want him to feel like I always did."