Chapter Thirty-Four

To say things are going well is an understatement

They're great. Amazing. Incredible.

Well, minus the annoying shouting and shit-talking I have to endure between Chaz and Blaze, wearing their stupid headsets and still yelling at each other from across the apartment. This weekend has probably been the best one yet.

Everything seems to be falling into place.

Sometimes I wonder how into this game Chaz really is? Is he playing it to humor Blaze? If so, I'm fine with that. He's got no problem with letting himself die when I slide into the bed next to him. He's good at finding the balance, sharing himself between the two of us.

Makes me nervous that we're maybe rushing into this. I mean, the staying over is another big step. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy having him around. Not only for my own selfish and extremely obvious reasons. I think it's fantastic for Blaze, too.

He'd be such a great father. Breaks my heart that he isn't one. I never thought I'd even entertain the idea. Not at my age, not with my family history. I watch him, sitting on the couch caddy corner to the one my son is perched on. His eyes lit up in amusement, taking a verbal beating about his lack of skills. I wonder if kids are something he'd want.

Will it be a deal breaker?

"So... any girls you like, at school?" Chaz asks Blaze with a sly grin tugging his lips.

I'm only able to see the back of his shaggy head, shaking, shoulders tensing a bit. I pretend not to be eavesdropping, busying myself in the kitchen.

"No," he replies in a quiet voice. Let's be real here, mom hearing is impeccable. He continues mindlessly clicking away on his controller.

"Guys?" Chaz questions honestly, not a hint of a smile or teasing expression on his face. Sometimes I forget that Blaze is closer now to fifteen. We haven't asked him about girls. I've always been more concerned about his health, not so much about his personal life.

He was homeschooled for so long, only starting back at his new school halfway through the last year. Seems to like it enough, though he doesn't have very many friends he brings around.

"Dude," Blaze responds with a grunt. "No, I like girls. I mean... I don't like guys. Chicks are on my radar, okay."

"Just throwing it out there. You can like whoever you want. So there's no one—"

"No," Blaze clips. I laugh to myself, continuing my mock cleaning of the already sparkling countertops, thankful to have someone who can talk these things through with Blaze.

He dies in the game, tossing his controller on the couch next to him with an irritated groan. "Man, look what you did. You made me mess up and—"

"So there is, huh?" Chaz tosses me a sideways glance with a wink. I shake my head with a smile. His mood has definitely improved since this morning.