( oo2, act one )

-- fine line.

"PROM NIGHT TONIGHT" Rory Simons asked his daughter as she sat down at the kitchen island for breakfast. "You excited?"

"Who said I was going?" Josslyn replied, pouring the milk into her bowl of cereal and shoving a large spoonful in her mouth. She had just returned from one of her magical adventures a few days prior, and was planning on going on another tonight. The idea of going rouge for the summer appealed highly to her, but if he father had his way, which he probably will, she'd be stuck here in Seattle all summer surrounded by people she couldn't stand.

"Come on, Lyn, it's a big night! Nicole left her engagement party dress here, maybe you could wear that?" He said, sitting opposite Josslyn and sliding her a cup of coffee, freshly brewed. Nicole was her sister in law, and was way way taller than her, so there was no way that dress would fit.

"The green one?" Josslyn asked, her father nodding and pointing towards the ceiling.

"It's in the loft, I could get it out if you want?" He took a sip of his coffee and stood up to wash some of the plates from their dinner last night. "You could send some photos to your Mom, she always wanted to see you in a prom dress" This caught Josslyns attention, her head flying up at the mention of her mother.

"Really?" Josslyn asked, slightly shocked that her dad even remembered her mom existed. "I mean, maybe"

"I'll get it down, anyway, you can try it on" Rory quickly dried his hands and exited the kitchen, his heavy feet heard ascending the stairs all the way from the kitchen.

Last time Josslyn saw her mom, she was eleven or twelve. To her current knowledge, she was currently living somewhere on the other side of state with her new husband, Jack, and son, Xavier. Josslyn had always wanted to meet them, but she would never admit that. She grew up the youngest child, and never got along with her older brother, and always prayed for a younger sibling so she could be the role model Hunter never was, but her parents split up before that could ever happen. Anyway, her dad was happy in a new relationship with a women named Michelle who was set to move in with them in a few days, one of the main reasons Josslyn was looking to go again tonight.

"Also!" Her dad bellowed from the top of the stairs. "Maybe you could speak to Esmerelda again? What even happened between you two".

That's it. Josslyn thought. I'm leaving tonight.

"OW!" Esmerelda shrieked as her tailor accidentally stabbed her with a pin. "Careful with that!" She was stood on a podium getting the final touches to her prom dress added so it would be perfect for tonight. Her mother strolled into the room, a slight swing in her hips, as she stood beside her daughter on the podium, her hands on her shoulders.

Lucia looked Esmerelda up and down, the smile that graced her botox-filled face slowly slipping off as she took in the sight of her daughter in the mirror.

"What?" Esmerelda asked, catching her mothers eye in the mirror. "Is there something wrong?"

"Darling, have you put on weight?" Lucia asked, the smile on her daughters face completely dropping off. The tailor froze for a second, before pinning a piece of fabric down, automatically feeling bad for the teenager in front of them.