( oo9, act two )

-- fine line.
the finale.

"OKAY, JJ, THATS YOU ALL SET" Rory Simons said to his daughter as she sat down at the kitchen island for breakfast. "You excited?"

"Not particularly" She replied, tucking into her bowl of cereal. "I mean, it's Harvard, yeah, but it's not home"

"C'mon, Lynn, be proud of yourself, you worked hard for this!" He thumped his daughter on the shoulder as she smiled at him through her mouth of cheerios. "Your flight is at noon, so we'll leave here in an hour or so, okay?"

She was looking forward to leaving Washington, she really was. She had been working her whole life to get into her dream college, she thought she would be more excited than she was. When she opened her acceptance letter, she swore she nearly cried, and all she wanted to do was jet off and start school, but now that the day has come, she wished it would all stop. 

"Okay, dad" She whispered as he left the room to let the rat-dog out into the garden. Josslyn sat with herself for a few minutes, enjoying the feeling of home. She could hear the filter in the fishtank a few rooms down wirring, and the stupid rat-dog barking at something in the garden. Her dad's laugh echoed through the house, probably on the phone to someone since her stepmom wasn't home. Just as she got up to put her bowl away, her phone pinged.

MOM.
one new text message.

"What the-" Josslyn furrowed her brows, picking up her phone off the counter and opening the message. "What does she want?"

Mom:
Hey Josslyn. Just wanted to say good luck with college
and have a safe flight Xx Harvard's not ready for
what you've got!!!! Love you, mommy

"Hey J- Woah, what's wrong?" Hunter said, walking into the kitchen and then realising the solemn look on his little sisters face. He had come to visit for the last week of summer so he could see Josslyn off. Plus, it was about time he came home. 

"Mom just text me" She replied, keeping her eyes glued to her phone the entire time. "Hey Josslyn, just wanted to say good luck with college and have a safe light, love you, mommy" She recited, pulling an unimpressed face. "That's it? She doesn't speak to me for like six years and then comes back with this shit?"

"Calm down" Hunter took a swig of juice straight from the carton before putting it back in the fridge and walking over to look down at Josslyn's phone. "Just be cool about it. Don't be bitter or anything. She's trying"