( oo9, act one )

-- fine line

THE NIGHT HAD APPROACHED FAST. The evening had been a blur of hushed conversations and 'Leo, your pot-noodles ready'. After the incident at the theme park, tensions had been high between a certain Josslyn Simons and Vinnie Hacker, causing the four to leave the theme park forty minutes before their allotted time was up and go back to the RV to nap.

It was currently three in the morning, Esmerlda and Vinnie had taken off to their bunks about four hours ago, mumbling to each other about their day. Leo didn't dissappear for another hour or so, saying a quick 'Goodnight, rest well' to Josslyn before getting changed and crawling away into his bunk.

Josslyn had been lounging about on the couch, listening to her friends soft snoring and Esmerlda's slight sleep talking. Just as she was drifting off on her sofa, her phone dinged on the kitchen counter.

Leo:
are u still awake?

Josslyn:
i was just drifting off

Leo:
sorry
i still need to talk to u i forgot earlier

Josslyn:
oh yeah
i'm in the living room

Leo emerged out of his bunk, dark eye bags covering his face. He was the first to wake up the previous day, and had obviously gotten no sleep tonight. He smiled at Josslyn and sat down next to her on the couch, throwing her a blanket which she promptly wrapped around herself, Leo following suit quickly afterwards.

"So, what's up?" Josslyn asked, standing up and walking over to the fridge to get a couple bottles of water, still tightly clutching the blanket around her short body.

"It's about V" Leo said, looking nervously at Josslyn, who just slightly rolled her eyes before walking back over to the couch and passing him a bottle of water, which he took a sip from. Josslyn egged him on to continue. "When we were in the line for the log-floom he told me something"

"What?" Josslyn replied, twiddling her thumbs in her lap, and then deciding that that was less than satisfactory and decided to swivel the several rings climbing up her fingers instead. "Did he tell you the same thing he told me?"

"Well, it depends, what did he tell you?" Leo looked at his best friend, a hint of fear glistening in his hazel eyes.

"That the whole almost kissing me thing was a mistake" Josslyn started, looking up and meeting Leo's gaze. His face completely dropped.

"That is not what he told me" Leo said, shaking his head and looking out the window at all the other RV's parked in the camp ground. A family had had a bonfire that night, and the children had long gone to bed, so only the adults remained sat by the remnants of the fire, pathetically roasted marshmallows lying limp on the end of their sticks. The bonfire made the whole park smell of soot and ash, and no matter how many windows the four opened, their van still reeked of firewood.

Josslyn pulled the blanket even tighter round herself, if that was even physically possible at this point. "Oh God, what did he say?" Silence. "Leo, what did he say?"

"He-" Leo started before looking up at Josslyn, moving away slightly. "He's got a girlfriend"

BREAKFAST WAS AWKWARD. After Leo told Josslyn that Vinnie had gone and got himself a girlfriend, she felt like a complete and utter fool, and wouldn't allow sleep to plague her like it did her three, well, two, friends.

It didn't help ease Josslyn's sour mood when the first thing Vinnie said to her were 'Jezz, J, you look like death" and then loudly eating a bowl of fruit loops. He knew Josslyn hated fruit loops.

Esmerelda woke up next, eating just a small breakfast bar, insisting that she'll 'get Leo to drive to McDonalds so they could have a real breakfast, none of this shitty cereal crap". She kept Josslyn company until Leo woke up and took his place in the drivers seat.

To avoid awkward conversation, Josslyn took off in the direction of the bathroom, with a quick 'I'm gonna go take a shower". Of course, she didn't actually take a shower, she sat on the floor, letting the water run, getting lost in her own thoughts.

He has a girlfriend? Since when? Who is she? I bet she goes to that all girls school on the other side of the city. Yeah, definitely. Vinnie would go for girls like that.

"Hey, Lynn, you've been in there for thirty minutes, you okay?" Esmerelda said, knocking on the bathroom door. "We just got breakfast"

"I'll be out in a minute" Josslyn replied, quickly wetting her hair and getting changed. Vinnie was right, though. She did look like death. Quickly exiting the bathroom, she threw all her old clothes into her bunk, writing a mental note to stop off at the laundromat next time they're in a city.

They had been on the road for a week, maybe two depending on which of the four you asked, and Josslyn couldn't physically see herself being able to do this much longer. She'd given Esmerelda another three days to crack, Leo five, and Vinnie a week. He was fairly patient. He would probably be able to do the whole six weeks easy.

"So, I was thinking maybe we could just chill out today" Leo suggested as Josslyn sat down next to Esmerelda on her bunk, the boys sitting opposite them. "We've had a hectic few days" Leo glanced at Josslyn and gave her a knowing look, the other two taking no notice, happily eating away at their hash browns.

"Sounds good to me" Josslyn replied, fiddling with the cap of her orange juice, before rummaging in the fast food bag for her breakfast. Her phone vibrated in her back pocket.

Leo:
i have a plan

Josslyn:
a plan? for what?

She looked up at Leo, who's eyebrows were furrowed as he furiously typed away at his phone.

Leo:
just trust me, okay?

Josslyn:
okay.

"So" Leo started, sliding his phone into his back pocket and looking at Vinnie, with a shit eating grin on his face. "How's Emily?"

________

✫⠀

.
𝚒𝚜𝚊'𝚜 𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚗𝚎𝚛:
- this is the shortest chapter yet oops
- im sorry this took so long to update lol i went back to school and have been up to my fucking nose in homework and revision
- updates will definitely be slow from now on im sORRY
- but how would y'alls feel if i incorperated some social media into this bitch because i am so tired of writing out long ass chapters it takes ages its not fun its not cute and probably just knocks a few years off my life and writing social media is so easy