( oo5, act one)

-- fine line

THE FOUR WERE BARELY TWO HOURS INTO THE ROAD TRIP AND ALREADY WANTED TO THROW THEMSELVES OUT THE WINDOW AND ONTO THE HIGHWAY. Leo had taken a wrong turning a few miles back, resulting in Esmerelda having a nervous breakdown and the friends to be closer to Canada than Nashville.

"I'm telling you now, it's because my Siri is french!" Leo exclaimed, angrily pointing to his phone as Esmerelda fanned her face.

"Why the fuck is your Siri French?!" Vinnie mumbled, walking over to the drivers seat and snatching up his cousins phone, checking the settings to try and change the voice of Siri to something Leo would actually be able to comprehend. "We should've gone to where I picked first, then this wouldn't of happened and we wouldn't be halfway to Canada by now"

"Hey, don't put this on me! You all agreed to go to Nashville!" Esmerelda turned and said to Vinnie before frantically pushing the button to open the window. "And can I please unlock this window, Leonardo!"

The three sat in awkward silence, casually mumbling something under their breath every few minutes, praying that Leo's French Siri would spit something out that would direct them the right way, but after twenty minutes of no directions and one, long straight road, they decided it was best to pull over and wake up Josslyn.

"Why've we stopped?" She quietly asked, rolling out of her bunk and thudding onto the floor. "Are we here?"

"No, we're not here. Why would we be here?" Vinnie asked, his tone sour. Josslyn took a few steps back, putting her hands up in surrender.

"Jeez, someone's cranky" She walked over to Esmerelda and Leo, who were sat back to back, absolutely refusing to look at each other. "Okay, so, we're currently at the border...why are we at the border?"

"Someone took a wrong turn just as we entered Idaho" Esmerelda spat, glaring at Leo who just rolled his eyes. "And now we're in Canada, which is like, a million miles away from where we're supposed to be"

"Oh my God, literally just turn around and drive to Nashville, it's not that hard" Josslyn wallowed, standing up and walking over to the kitchenette to see if there were any good snacks left, which, to her not-so-surprise, there was not.

A silence fell over the four friends, the only noises they could hear being from the cars passing by on the highway next to them. Leo and Esmerelda were still very obviously angry at each other, and Vinnie did not look very pleased with how this road trip was going His figure was tense and he was staring off into something that didn't exist.

"V, you good?" Josslyn asked, leaning on the counter and looking over at him as his attention was finally torn away from the couch.

"Yeah, just...was this a good idea? The whole summer run away thing?" He replied, chewing nervously on his lip. Leo and Esmerelda turned to look at him, Josslyn dropping the vile lemonade she was drinking. "It seemed exciting in the moment, but now I'm having doubts"

"Vinnie, we can't go back. Not now" Esmerelda said, standing up from the passenger seat and sitting down on the couch.

"Yeah, we've come to far" Leo grabbed his phone and violently punched in some directions to god knows where.

"They're right. We're literally in Canada right now, plus, we left Seattle, what, an hour ago? It's too easy for our parents" Josslyn said, walking over to Vinnie and leaning against the wall next to him. "None of us have slept very well the past few days, so, you guys go get some sleep. I'll drive for a bit"

"Count me in" Leo laughed, lunging himself out the drivers seat and practically throwing himself in his bunk, Esmerelda following, silently crawling into the same bunk Leo did.

Vinnie looked over at Josslyn, who just nodded her heads towards the bunks.

"Nah, I'm good. Besides, someone's gotta keep you company" He smiled.

"YO, HOW ABOUT THAT GIRL YOU DATED IN LIKE EIGHTH GRADE?" Josslyn laughed as Vinnie put his head in his hands, groaning uncomfortably. "What was her name? Jenny?"

"Julie" He mumbled, tilting his head back and smiling. "She was so fucking clingy"

"Literally! She hated me!" Josslyn looked over at Vinnie and chuckled as he groaned.

"She was just...insecure" He shook his head as Josslyn threw him a not-so-convinced look. "Yeah, you're right, she hates you"

"Told you so!" Josslyn reached over to the center console, turning the music up slightly.

"Hey, I remember this song" Vinnie sat up and pointed at the radio before smiling shyly and running a hand through his blonde curls. "We slow danced to this in sixth grade"

"Before we went rogue" Josslyn joked, nudging Vinnie and laughing. "I remember that too, that yellow tie was not it"

"Urm, excu-use me!" Vinnie mocked offence, placing his hand on his chest and looking at the girl to his left in complete disbelief. "That yellow tie was everything and more. What was not it wad that dress, Miss Simons"

"Don't lie, Hacker, you loved that dress" Josslyn swatted his hand, pulling over to the gas station at the side of the road. "It made my Justice lipgloss pop!" She cackled, climbing out of the RV and closing the door behind her.

Vinnie watched her disappear into the gas station, the butterflies in his stomach becoming so heavy he could hardly bare it. Slightly chuckling to himself, he turned the music up all the way, reminiscing on the night of the sixth grade dance, with Josslyn swaying in his arms.