( oo3, act one )

-- fine line.

PROM WAS ALREADY IN FULL SWING AS JOSSLYN AND VINNIE WALKED INTO THE MAIN HALL. The smell of fog machines and sweaty bodies mingled in the air as some music blasted through the speakers above the stage.

Immediately, all eyes were on them. It wasn't a secret that Vinnie and Josslyn used to be friends. In fact, Vinnie was often ridiculed for even associating himself with her; The star baseball player, womaniser and It Boy of the century and the towns crazy lady who's Mom is a lying cheat and brother is a stuck up brownnose with the ugliest baby you could imagine. It didn't sound too good on his record.

Whispers as low as the wind followed them as they walked through the crowd, Josslyn just mindelessly following Vinnie through the hall and towards the snacks table.

"Leo!" Vinnie shouted at the boy stood pouring himself a drink, catching Josslyn and Esmerelda off guard.

"V! Hey, man!" Leo bellowed back, holding his arm up to pull his cousin in for a small hug. The two had only seen each other three days prior, at a family garden party, but they enjoyed each others company, and, more than he would like to admit, Vinnie much preferred hanging out with his 'loser' cousin than any of the jerks on the baseball team.

As the two boys caught up, Esmerelda and Josslyn stood awkwardly by the food table, passing glances and whispers being throttled at them by random people in the hall.

Why are they together? What is Josslyn doing here? They're still friends? Are Vinnie and Josslyn-? Are Esmerelda and Leo?

"So" Esmerelda awkwardly said, in an attempt to break the silence that had settled between the two old friends. Vinnie and Leo, in true fashion, were both completely unaware of the tension being built up between their two...friends? Girlfriends? Whatever they were. "How've you been?"

"Good, good" Josslyn lied, looking across to Esmerelda. She looked just as Josslyn remembered, all plump lips and perfect eyebrows. Her curly brown hair was straightened and fashioned back into a sleek high pony tail, perfectly showcasing the cut out round the back of her cream-coloured ballgown. No doubt it was probably expensive, most people would probably faint if they saw the pricetag. "What about you?"

"Me? I've been- I've been great" Esmerelda lied, but flashed a convincing smile towards her old best friend. She cleared her throat, the bundle of nerves that had been sat in the bottom of her stomach all day slowly fizzling out as people lost interest in the four pals stood at the snack table.

Josslyn reached over and grabbed a can of Sprite, passing one to Esmerelda, remembering how it was the only thing she would drink for three years straight. She gracefully took the can from Josslyn, muttering a polite thank you before opening it and taking a small gulp. The small clicks of the drinks caught the boys' attention, the two of them finally turning around and remembering the girls were there.

"Hey, Josslyn!" Leo said, smiling at her and opening his arms for a hug. He had never been the awkward type, and was always up to make a new friend, so the whole idea of being reunited with his old best-mate wasn't all that daunting.

She beamed back and opened her arms, hugging the tall boy back and rubbing his back softly before pulling away.

"How are you?" She asked, as Vinnie and Esmerelda caught up next to them, the two wrapped up in their own little conversation.