( oo7, act two )

-- fine line

i'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.

"JOSSLYN, SWEETHEART" Winona Simons shouted from her front door, her arms spread wide open for a hug. "How's my favourite niece doing?"

"I'm good, auntie." Josslyn replied, hugging her aunt back. "These are the friends I was telling you about. I hope it's not too much trouble. We'll only be here a day or two anyway"

"Oh, no, it's all good! The more the merrier! Please, come in" Winona said, motioning them all into her Miami home. "The bedrooms are upstairs, at the end of the hallway, you get a bathroom each!"

The four thanked her, walking up the stairs to find their designated rooms. Josslyn always loved coming to visit her weird aunt every summer. From what she's learnt, Winona was a lot like her when she was a teenager, always running away and getting involved with people she shouldn't be getting involved with. Frequently, Winona's mother would scold her unmarried, zero-kids lifestyle, but Winona was never bothered. She liked the quietness of her home. Plus, husbands are just a waste of space.

"This house always smells the same" Josslyn mumbled to herself, sitting down at the windowseat as Esmerelda threw herself onto the bed. "Spiced apple and cinnamon"

"How do you know that?" Esmerelda laughed, sitting up and resting her weight on her elbows to look at Josslyn.

"My mom used to use those air fresheners." Josslyn replied, standing up and stretching her legs. "If we leave here tomorrow night, we can get back home for the last week of summer."

"What? No! I love it here, lets stay!" Esmerelda whined, sitting bolt upright, her eyes following Josslyn across the room. 

"We cant, Es" Josslyn rolled her eyes and sat on the end of the bed. "It takes two days to drive from Miami to Seattle, so we'll be home in about three days, equalling one week until we leave for college. We all still need to pack, book our flights and accommodation, settle in and explore college before it starts. Not to mention the fact you still need to go to New Jersey to see your sisters"

"The boys and I don't need to book flights" Esmerelda said, twiddling her thumbs together. "You're the only one moving. All the way to Massachusetts. That's a shitty state, you know"

"But that's where Harvard is, and if I wanna be a lawyer, that's where I gotta go" Josslyn replied, standing up and walking towards the en suite bathroom. "I'm gonna freshen up"