20 | four spies and a baby

"Me and mum went to that new shopping center. It was cool" Carrie told them what she had done that weekend as they walked through the corridors of St Hopes towards the classroom.

"We visited my cousins, big family thing. I have a lot of cousins" Rose told them about her weekend.

"I didn't do anything except sleeping and eating, and I have never been happier" Alex said happily.

"How about you Oscar? Did you do anything during the weekend?" Carrie asked.

"Nah" Oscar shrugged walking in front of the girls into the classroom and when they entered they were shocked. All of their classmates were sitting on the floor surrounded by baby toys.

"What the f-" Alex started to say when Mrs King interrupted her.

"This week we have a very special assignment for you" Mrs King said handing a doll baby to Rose and it started crying.

"This is my worst nightmare!" Alex said looking at the doll in horror as it continued to scream. "Make it shut up!"

"I don't know how!" Rose snapped back at her.

"Just bang its head against the wall or something" Alex offered casually, walking over to sit on the floor by the others and her friends quickly followed her.

"Now these are computerised infant simulators" Mrs King explained to the class holding up a doll baby, "and they are just like the real thing. They need feeding, changing and cuddling 24/7 and you are going to look after them for the next couple of days."

The entire class groaned and Alex dramatically put her head on Oscar's shoulder. "They are a big responsibility, just like the real thing" Mr Flatley said.

"Not selling it, Mr F" Alex said unhappy about the assignment.

"The only difference is that our robot babies will be keeping tabs on you. They will record when they are comforted and when they are neglected" Mrs King explained while Flatley handed out the dolls.

"Mrs King and I will be looking after one" Mr Flatley laughed and Mrs King looked at him unimpressed.

"And at the end of the two days we are going to download the data from each baby to find out who in the class is the best parents" Mrs King finished. Rose and Carrie got one baby, Oscar got paired up with Avril and Alex with Donovan.

~~~

"Sooo, what should we name him?" Alex asked. She was sitting on a bench in the school yard holding the doll baby with a suspicious look. She was really done with assignment already, but she was nice enough to make some effort, for Donovan.

"What about David? Like David Beckham" Donovan suggested, actually looking kind of happy with the assignment.

"Nah, not really a United fan" Alex grimaced.

"What about Troy?" Donovan then suggested looking between the baby and it's 'mother'. Alex held up the baby in the air, like she was scanning it before nodding slightly, "I like it."

Donovan smiled, happy that she agreed. Alex's attention was then drawn to her friends, exiting the building. "I have to go, here" she handed Troy over to Donovan who looked surprised, "What about Troy?"

"Sorry, I really have to go. Catch up with you later? Alex offered with a pleading smile.

"But-" Donovan started to say, but he cut himself off. Instead he sat down and held Troy like you would hold a real baby. "It's alright" he cooed at the crying 'baby'.

"Great! Love you! Bye" Alex walked away quickly and as she walked over she heard Avril say, "Look Oscar, Doli has got your eyes."

"Doli?" Oscar asked confused.