35 | day of the jacket

"I don't know what's sadder" Alex said, "That you two are playing chess, or that I'm watching you two play chess."

"Ssssh" Frank silenced her actually finding the game interesting.

"Why did you make such a big deal out of this game?" Oscar asked Rose, those two being the two players right now.

"Chess is for intelligent people" Rose rolled her eyes.

"That might explain why I just took your knight" Oscar said smugly.

"You are missing the point" Rose sighed, "The knight may be important, but sometimes the knights has to be captured so that the Queen, who is even more important, can take position. Check mate."

"Finally."

~~~

"I hate hot weather" Alex said, her college jacket being tied around her waist, revealing the white top underneath, but she still felt like she was running a mile in the Sahara desert. "It's sweaty, it's hot, it's unbearable all together and I feel like my head is going to explode."

"Why do you always complain?" Oscar asked tiredly.

"Because when I think something is wrong, I share it with others" Alex told him, "I should probably move to the Highlands or maybe Siberia!" she added like it was a genius idea.

"Let me know how that work out for you" Rose in exasperation, she was probably the only one who was wearing her school uniform the right way and if Alex thought it was hot, she could only imagine what Rose thought.

"I will" Alex said, not letting her friend's tone bring her down. "I think it would be good for me. It's getting boring around here."

"I agree! I need a challenge, I haven't had a competition in ages" Carrie complained.

"You don't think saving the world is a challenge any longer?" Rose asked in disbelief.

"While we are on the subject" Oscar said, motioning to his know buzzing communicator. Just then Donovan and Davina walked by and Donovan's pen flew and attached itself to Oscar's pocket, where he had his Spypod.

"Hey!" Donovan exclaimed in annoyance when Oscar handed him the pen back.

"I'm sorry" Oscar apologised, but frowning a little at the other boy's tone.

"Have you been having trouble with the magnet Frank has put into the Spypods?" Oscar whispered.

"I came out of the canteen covered in spoons yesterday" Carrie said.

"And I almost died having to avoid getting hit by all the spoons" Alex added causing the others to laugh before they ran towards HQ.

When they entered Frank stood ready to greet them. "Agents, we have a red alert. Enemy spy named Ivan Orfalkold has discovered the location of our HQ" he told them, "This is Orfalkold. Former Olympic athlete for the republic of Grojzvenian, computer scientist and assassin."

"Oh, he almost seemed harmless there for a second" Alex joked, but the others didn't find it amusing.

"Two nights ago he managed to get inside MI9 headquarters and tried to steal some of our most important top secret data files" Frank continued, "Luckily he tripped an alarm for all the files to be automatically be transferred here before he could access them. However, before leaving MI9 HQ, he used his hacking skills to find out about the transfer and discovered the location of our base here at St Hopes."

"We can transfer the files elsewhere before he makes his move" Rose suggested.

"Sadly there has been a technical foul up. Something to do with Chief Agent Stark, a keyboard and a bowl of cocoa puffs" Frank explained with a roll of his eyes and Alex burst out laughing.