Chapter 2 page 8

Dinner was surprisingly less awkward than Amy had imagined

Dinner was surprisingly less awkward than Amy had imagined. The hedgehog in front of her was trying his best to make her feel at ease, however his efforts were only wasted as Amy wasn't used to such treatment. With his terrible jokes, he managed to put a smile on her face. Amy's awkwardness slowly went away as they laughed at the dinner table and being friendly with each other.

"I am curious to know if you remember anything leading to your arrival here," Shadow asked her, he had the gest of what had happened to her. However, he wanted to hear it from her own mouth. Amy looked at him with a slightly dejected look.
"Well...I don't remember much...I..." Amy paused as she looked away from him. Her expression displayed confusion mixed with sadness as
Shadow stared at her face, she didn't appear to be lying. However, he felt rather conflicted, something about her face making such an expression bothered him.

He continued to feel this way as he stared at her, lost in thought he was snapped back to his senses when she began to speak again.
"I remember waking up in a room, at the paradise Traven and meeting Nyccole and talking to her, she became real weird after I told her my last name" Amy spoke softly as she thought about the time Nyccole was treating her like an important client.

Shadow chuckled"Of course she would, here only nobles have last names, in other words. She thought you were a noble" Shadow explained.
"What? How is that fair?!" Amy protested with a pout.
"Your right, however, that's just how things work here" Shadow spoke taking a sip of his wine right after.

"You're the king aren't you? Can't you do something about it?" Amy said with slight hope.
Shadow stared at her intensely before speaking. "The late king has made this rule fifty years ago, I can't simply override his ruling. Plus, the nobles will most likely not agree to it. Even if I ignored the nobles and gave commoners last names, they will be treated the same or even worse by the nobles" he spoke staring at her right in the eyes.

Amy looked troubled as she thought about his words.
"He is right miss, nobles won't take kindly to commoners having last names, it would make the nobles feel on equal footing with the commoners. Who knows what the nobles would do if this law is changed. It's best to let the issue be, everyone has been living with this rule for quite a long time. It's a part of their daily lives now ." Amy looked over at Shadow's chaos emerald.

"Whoever made that rule clearly wanted commoners to know their place, it sounds ridiculous to be honest " Ruby spoke which Amy agree with her.
"It's just...back at home everyone has a last name, I-I guess I'm just not used to having a status difference like this...." Amy explained and Shadow understood. "You're not from this world so I understand, I got a negative response when I also brought up the topic" Shadow had admitted.

Amy blinked as she realized that Shadow had already gone and tried to discuss this ruling.
"I even had to kill a few nobles who tried to rebel, thinking I would change the previous king's ruling. I may be a king now, but it doesn't mean I can do anything and everything Rose" he spoke softly feeling slightly helpless on the topic. But he was glad she didn't make a huge fuss about it.