Chapter 23 - Alexia's POV

The next day at training we formally create our alliance, and Margo and I ask about Coral.  The four of our teammates understand and say that they won't mention it to their mentors.  Later, at lunch, Margo quickly goes over to Coral to explain that we agreed that she can come with us, and our number grows to seven strong.  The week continues on, every once in a while sending a note to Coral, but otherwise just training as usual.  Throughout the five days leading up to the assessments, the training room continues to grow with one extra station per day, starting with a string of small rooms that create holographic animals and people to attack, followed by a camouflaging station, then a muttations and poisonous animals station - which teaches you all about the different kinds and how to kill them – then two additions to existing station, first an anatomy area added onto the medicine station, where you're shown the most vital human organs and what's best to hit with what weapons, then a food purification area adding onto the hunting and fishing station, which teaches how to get clean water and how to cook food properly.

On that fifth day, we get up early, eat, and head down to training, where Cressida is waiting for us.

"Now that everyone is here, I would like to explain to you what your schedules will be looking like today," she begins, "Today are your assessments.  Spend your time wisely this morning to work on whatever you want to show the Gamemakers, you need to impress them.  At 11:00 you will be going to lunch, then the first person will be sent in, and I do believe that will be you," she points to Opal from One.

"You will be going by District and age, so Opal here will be going first and the younger girl from Twelve will be going last," Cressida says, pointing to me, "After that, you go up to your District floors and wait for the scores to be announced.  After that, you try to sleep for a few hours, and then the Games begin."

The Careers get all excited at the mention of the start of the games, but the rest of us are terrified.

"Do you have any questions?" Cressida asks, "No? Good.  Get to work, Tributes, don't waste your last training session."

Margo and I break off to find the rest of our alliance.

"The games are actually starting tomorrow," Ivy says, obviously scared.

"It'll be alright, Ivy," Rowan says, wrapping her in a one-armed hug.

"Speaking of that, we should think about this, guys," Bran says, "Like, where are we going to meet up when the game begins?  And should we go for the cornucopia or not?"

"I feel like we could go in and get some outlying goods, but don't go too far in.  I don't want any of us to be victims of the bloodbath," Margo says, "And we should come up with some sort of signal for where to go once the gong sounds.  Like, depending on what the terrain looks like, I'll put up one finger to head in the direction of the tail, two to head in the direction of the mouth, three to head to the right of the mouth and four to head left."

"That sounds like a good idea, but what if some of us can't see you?" I ask, "We could be on opposite sides of the circle."

"How about Margo puts up the signal first, and then whoever else sees it puts it up too.  That way, if it is a circle and some of us can't see Margo, that person can see the next person holding up the signal," Harvey says.

"That should work," Rowan says.

"Margo, you have to tell Coral this at some point today so that she knows what the signal is and means," I say.

"I will.  Is there anything else?  Don't go too far into the Cornucopia, the signal, is that it?" Margo asks.

"Just try to stay alive," Bran adds.