Chapter 34 - Margo's POV

The more time we spend with Carter and Casey, the more I miss Troy.  Once Carter gets comfortable with us, he starts talking and acting the same way that Troy does, rambling on and on about things and always trying to find the best of a situation.  We spend a day together, up in the trees, and no more deaths are counted.

"We should probably go and get some more water," Casey prompts.

"We should," Alexia says.

"Let's all go!" Carter says, jumping down out of the tree.

"Is it safe to leave all of our things here?" I ask Casey.

"Yeah, nobody's found this place, and we leave it together a lot to go and get water so it's no big deal," she responds.

"Alright then, let's go," I say.

We walk through the woods mostly in silence, Casey leading the way for us to the freshwater cove.  It takes us roughly thirty minutes to get to the clearing above the cliffs that surround the cove.

"Let's take a little break before we climb down there," I say, sitting down, letting everyone get a sip of the last of our water.

"It's really beautiful out here," Alexia says.

"Isn't it?  Makes me wish we had a place like this back home," Carter says.

We sit in silence, enjoying the view, before a firefly emerges from the woods.

"Oh my god!  I've always wanted to see one of these!" Casey sequels as another emerges.

"You've never seen one before?" Alexia asks.

"We get them all the time out in Twelve, but they normally wouldn't come out this early in the day," I say as multiple more come out of the woods.

One lands on me, and I look at it for a moment.  It almost looks like it's looking back at me, before it bites me.