Chapter 35 - Alexia's POV

~Author's Note
So, sorry about the long wait, I keep trying to record the audio for the song for this chapter and it just isn't working!  I'll get it eventually when I have more time, but for now if you want to listen to the song, it's called The End of All Things, by Panic! At the Disco.

Much Love,
Mareena~

*************************************

Margo yelps out as a firefly bites her, and Casey screams as a swarm begins to attack her, with the stragglers still coming after the rest of us.  We kill as many of them as we can, but there's still too many.  They only recede once Casey has fallen to the ground, covered in red dots and small, thin green veins.

"Casey!" Carter cries out, grabbing her.

She gurgles a little bit, barely making out his name before throwing up a bit of green liquid.

"Oh my god, Casey, I'm so sorry," Margo says, grabbing her hand.

She gurgles again, holding onto her last breath.

"Carter," she mumbles, choking.

Carter attempts to calm her down, stroking her hair and humming.  As her eyes close, he lets out a cry, and Margo begins humming a love song that we play at funerals back in District Twelve.

Whether near or far,

I am always yours

Any change in time,

We are young again

Lay us down

We're in love

Lay us down

We're in love

I join in, remembering the higher harmonies from some distant memory.

In these coming years,

Many things will change

But the way I feel

Will remain the same

Lay us down

We're in love

Lay us down

We're in love

Shortly after we finish, Casey's choked breaths cease.  Carter begins to cry even harder then he was, before abruptly standing up.  He starts to slowly back up, looking at his dead sisters body, before looking up at us.

"One if you should make it out of here," he says quietly, before turning around and walking straight off the cliff behind him.

"No!" I screech, grabbing onto Casey's dead body.

Margo gasps in horror, as shocked as I am, before shakily getting up.

"Alexia, we have to go.  Now.  Those things are poisonous, we need to get to the first aid kit, quickly," she says, pulling me up.

We hobble along through the summer woods, trying to focus in on our destination but unable to get the image of Casey out of our heads.  Margo helps me get up into the tree, and I sit down while she gets the first aid kit.

"How many bites do you have?" she asks me, "Alexia, talk to me.  How many bites do you have?"

"Two," I respond, showing her my arm.

She uses some tool to get the poison out, then puts some cream on the bites before putting bandages on them, then repeats the treatment on her own bites.

"They're gone," I whisper.

"I know, Lexi," Margo says, grabbing me in a hug.

"This isn't fair!" I say, louder.

"I know," she whispers back, her voice shaking, "I know."