Chapter 25 - Margo's POV

"Can you explain to me why exactly the Head Gamemaker is so goddamn pissed at you - meaning me - right now?" Kolton screams at me.

Alexia and I finished our assessments and were escorted upstairs, meanwhile Kolton was called down to speak with the Gamemakers about what I did during my time with them.

"They weren't paying attention to me so I slingshot a rock at a light in their box.  It exploded," I explain.

"It exploded.  It exploded!  Of course, you did that, that makes total sense, that's what any rational person would do," Kolton says sarcastically.

"Kolton don't freak out, I got mad at them and overreacted," I begin.

"You got mad?  You got mad!  Your temper and your teen angst bullshit aren't okay, Margo," Kolton says, practically ripping the hair out of his head, "I know this is hard for you, but the game is rigged.  This little incident doesn't just 'affect you', it literally could be the reason you die.  And not only that, it'll affect your sister, your alliance members, and me."

I stand facing him for a moment.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Say it louder so that the Gamemakers will hear it," Kolton says before walking towards the dining room, "I need a fucking drink."

I sit on one of the couches in the living room next to Alexia.  She reaches out to squeeze my arm.

"It'll be alright, Margo," she says, trying to comfort me.

"Let's just wait for the scores to come out.  I think there's only twenty minutes left before Augustus should come on," I say, turning on the TV.

We sit in silence waiting for Augustus Keller to come on the TV, and for Kolton, Vita, and the stylists to come in.  After a few moments, Vita comes in, followed by Helios and Chastity, but Kolton is nowhere to be found.

"Here we go," Vita says, clapping as Augustus begins his opening remarks.

"This year will really be an interesting one, and you'll understand after seeing the scores!  Here we go – starting with District One!" he says.

I grab a piece of paper and a pen that are sitting on the table and write down everyone's scores.

D1

Opal – 8

Ruby – 7

D2

Alana – 9

Nolan – 8

D3

Bolt – 5

Flash – 4

D4

Kai – 10

Coral – 4

D5

Wyatt – 8

Isaac – 2

D6

Carter – 3

Casey – 5

D7

Rowan – 7

Ivy – 6

D8

Penny – 9

Lea – 3

D9