Chapter 30 - Alexia's POV

"So, from what we saw, there were only four of the Careers, not all six," I say.

"Wait, who was missing?  None of them have died yet, why are two of the gone?" Harvey asks.

"It was District Two.  Alana and Nolan.  Either they were hiding from us or they took off, we don't know," Bran says.

"So, if they do attack us, it's four against six.  That gives up the upper hand," Margo says.

"Yeah it does.  Plus, if they find us here, we'll know the terrain better.  If all else fails, we can retreat to the lake.  You three know the way, you can take us," Rowan says, pointing to me, Harvey and Ivy.

"That wouldn't exactly be the best plan, Rowan," Ivy begins, "We left notches in the trees to form a path.  They'd be able to find us pretty quickly."

"Well then we could go somewhere else.  Either way, we've probably explored more of the island than they have, we have like a home-field advantage going for us," Rowan says, rather definitively. 

"So, we're just going to sit around and wait for them to attack us then?" Harvey asks, throwing his hands up, "We can't exactly leave to go on hunting trips in small groups anymore, in case the four of them find one of the groups."

"We have enough food to camp out for a while, we should be fine.  And who knows, they might not even find us," Bran says.

"We can only hope," Rowan says, "I'm going to go grab some branches for spears."

He steps out of the circle, before letting out a grunt and falling to the ground.

"Rowan!" Ivy yelps out, running after her brother.

She has just enough time to yell out, "They're here!" before she falls to the ground.  We all leap up, grabbing our weapons, and charge out of the circle.  Opal is standing a few feet away from the bodies of Rowan and Ivy with a bow and a few arrows, and as soon as Harvey sees her, he slashes her throat with his sword, only to be met by a spear to the chest from Wyatt.  I throw a knife into his forehead, and see that Margo and Kai are fighting, trident against spear, and Ruby is standing over the bloodied body of Bran.  I yell out as I throw my second knife, into her chest.

"Lexi!" Margo screams out, now pinned down by Kai.

"Margo!" I yell.

Just as Kai is about to bring his trident down onto Margo, I throw another knife, hitting his shoulder.

"Margo, come on!" I yell, grabbing her and dragging her away from the mess, into the woods.

After a few moments pass, she grabs my arm to stop me.

"We have to go back," she says, "I'm sorry but we have to go back.  We have to kill him."

"I can't kill anyone else, I've already killed two people!  This is insane!" I whisper shout.

"I know, I know.  Please, Alexia, I know this is hard, but it's for our own safety.  We're the only one's left of our alliance, because of him," Margo says, choking up, "He killed Coral."

I don't have anytime to think about it.

"You bitch!" Kai screams out, charging us when he sees us, pointing to his shoulder, "You're going to die for this!"

Before he can get close enough to do any damage, I reflexively throw my last knife into his chest.

********

Author's Note

Sorry bout all the death- it had to happen sooner or later

Mareena~