◦•●◉✿ Chapter 9 ✿◉●•◦

xxx

xxx

Y/n and Tom were in a meeting with their teams when Y/n's phone rang, interrupting the meeting. Y/n immediately apologised for the interference and checked the caller, it was from St Thomas's Battersea, the twins' school. That confused Y/n and Tom, who had decided to take a little peek as to who was calling his wife. The twins were at school at that moment. God knows what's going on.
"Hello", Y/n answered, her voice unsure.
"Hello Mrs Holland. I'm speaking from St Thomas's Battersea. Your kids are in a bit of a situation here.", the feminine voice said.
"Pardon, what?", Y/n asked, completely baffled.
"I'm sorry ma'am I can't tell you much more. You or your husband will have to come down here."
"Okay, we're coming.", Y/n stated hurriedly.
"Tom, we have to go. It's the twins. Sorry guys.", saying so, Y/n left the room, taking her bag with her, Tom following.

"What can happen?", Tom said through gritted teeth. Y/n shook her head, unable to fathom words. She was driving, her hands gripping the wheel so tight that her knuckles had turned white.
She parked outside the school, and jumped outside with Tom. They rushed in, straight to the receptionist.
"Hello, Mr and Mrs Holland here. We were called.", Tom said.
"Hello, right this way please.", the lady said, leading the way.
She stopped before a door that had the "Principal" tag on it. The couple shared concerned glances. The lady opened the door and said something before ushering the couple in.
"Ah, hello! Take a seat.", the principal said cheerfully, "we have some bad news."
Just then, Kevin and Keira made an appearance. Kevin had his right hand in a cast and Keira had a bandage on hers.
"Oh my god! What happened? Are you both okay?", Y/n said, fully panicking. Tom was frozen on the spot.
"Your kids had a little fight here.", said the Principal, Tom was glaring daggers at the twins and they couldn't meet his gaze, they looked away.
"We'd suggest to get them checked once more and rest, obviously. Thank you."
"Thank you. Both of you, come on.", Tom said rather harshly and walked out, Y/n and the twins followed in a tow.

"Y/n, call up the doctor, will you?", Y/n nodded, getting her phone, "We need to get these two checked.", Tom said, eyes on the road, hand gripping the wheel so tight that his knuckles were milk white.

"Hello, is Dr. Johnson available. Mrs. Y/n Holland speaking. Our kids are hurt. We wanted him to take a look.", Y/n spoke to the phone. Dr. Johnson was the doctor who treated Tom, Sam, Harry and Paddy when they were younger. He was in his middle sixties and his relationship with the Hollands was good, he was invited to Tom and Y/n's wedding.
The receptionist of the hospital confirmed that he was indeed free for some time. So Y/n didn't hesitate to book an appointment.

"Come on. He won't bite!", Tom said to the twins, a bit of mockery in his voice. They had parked at the parking lot of Kingston hospital, but the twins refused to come out. Tom was mad, yes, but he couldn't help mocking, being an elder brother to three dorks did that to you, you become an expert in mockery.

Dr. Johnson was eyeing Kevin's X-ray while Tom and Y/n sat opposite him, both extremely nervous. Keira had a sprained wrist, which had been bandaged and dealt with. Kevin seemed to have a fractured arm.
Later, the couple and the twins left the hospital after being briefed by Dr. Johnson on how to take care of the sprain and the fracture. Y/n was used to taking care of injuries, thanks to Tom.
Tom helped the kids into the car as Y/n took the wheel this time. What scared Y/n was the fact that Tom hadn't spoken a word. It's a known fact that he is a quite a blabbermouth. And usually when he is quiet it doesn't mean good things.

The finally reach their house, the tension thick. Tom took the kids' bags and Y/n helped them get out and lead them to their rooms to change.
Tom and Y/n then headed to the living room, minds still processing the situation when the twins made an appearance. They sat on the sofa and the four individuals settled with an uncomfortable silence.
"Can we know what happened?", Tom asked, with gritted teeth. The twins gulped before Kevin spoke up.
"These kids at school, Vincent and his gang, they said mean things.", he said, looking away.
"You don't beat anyone up for that Kevin! There are teachers for a reason!", Y/n scolded.
"No! Mum, he was saying things... things about us and you... very mean things.", Keira interjected, looking down.
"What things? Can you tell us?", Tom knelt down to the little girl's height and asked.
"H- he said that you ju- just took us in out of p-pity... That you-you'd beat us and get t-tired of us and k-kick us away...", Tom placed his hand on Keira's chin and she lifted her head. Her eyes wer filled with tears.
"Y/n...", Tom called out and she rushed to comfort the little girl. Kevin hadn't spoken a word.
Tom was pacing furiously in the room, hand pinching the bridge of his nose.
"How long has this been going on Kevin?", Tom asked, Kevin remained silent.
"I asked how long Kevin!", Tom said, losing his patience and raising his voice. The other three in the room flinched.
"Two months.", Kevin meekly answered, voice wavering.
"What?! This has been going on for practically the entire time you've joined school and we get to know the golden news now?!", Y/n raised her voice now. The twins didn't answer.
"Look, if you don't like us or want to live with us, just tell us, okay? You're not forced to live here. If you're not comfortable, we'll make sure to give you guys a better home.", Y/n said, her voice cracking. The twins didn't answer. But they ran out of the room. Tom swore he saw tear tracks on Kevin's cheeks. Y/n was quick to go to the music room and slam the door shut. She needed her time.

An hour later, Y/n was in the kitchen, drinking water when Tom appeared, dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, she shot him a questioning look.
"Honey, I'm going to the gym.", he said, grabbing the car keys, he quickly went to Y/n and quickly pecking her lips, then making his way out.

Abruptly, Y/n dashes to the kids' room and asked them to get in the car. She pulled up in front of Tom's old school.

The twins looked around, very much confused. They'd never been here. The building seemed like a school. It was one, in fact.

"See that school over there.", Y/n said, pointing to the building. The twins' gaze followed the hand and stopped at the school.
"Tom used to go there, you know.", Y/n started, "It's an all boys school. Not like yours, where there are both boys and girls." The twins nodded along, still confused.
"Did you know that he got bullied?"
The twins' jaw dropped.
"How could Dad be bullied? He's so strong!", Kevin asked, still unsure if he should call Tom Dad.
"Try doing ballet in a school full of boys playing rugby. This was back when he was 10-12. He played the part of Billy Elliot in the West End production. The role needed him to do ballet, jazz, tap dance and gymnastics."
"That's why he got so worked up when you told us."
The twins' faces fell. They felt guilty. They had brought up painful memories.