A reason

He's exhausted and from the state of her curls, so is Emily. He's so relieved when they arrive that he actually hugs her. And to his utmost surprise, she returns the gesture. They rush through the double doors and head straight for the green room, where they are stopped by a burly, coal-haired guard.
"Ma'am, you are?" He stands taller than even Finn, and they're both intimidated.
"Emily." She says hurriedly in response, "I'm with the Next Step. This is Finn. He's one of their dancers. There was a delay. He needs to be with his team." He nods in agreement.
"Well, I have to contact a colleague of mine to verify."
"Please, make it quick. He is onstage very soon." As slightly terrified she is, Emily keeps her head up high and her voice steady. This is her team. And she was going to see this through. The guard makes a compliant noise and starts dialling.
"Hey," She says, more softly now, to him. She can't do much else to help now. "What we talked about-"
"I will." He replies, and both of them wear smiles. Despite his usual nature, he's nervous. This isn't dance. He isn't in control.
"Okay." The guard even manages a grin, "You're in."

They've raced through three corridors and eventually, he sees his team. They look as if they've just finished a rehearsal, huddled around each other, deep in conversation, off to the side of the stage. The stage. He gives himself a second to look at it. The smooth, wide floor. The purple lights. He feels excitement bubble inside him. He closes his eyes for a split second, just to gain all his confidence. It's key, Emily had told him.

"Anybody miss me?" All heads turn in his direction. Some overjoyed (the bros) and some shocked at his sheer audacity of an opening line (the girls). Nick nearly faints out of relief. He studies her reaction. At first it's just amazement, that he made it, which makes him more certain about what he's about to do. But then, her eyebrows raise, and he gets a sense of anger. And disappointment. Which everyone knows is the worst emotion. And yet, a tiny, tiny part of him thinks he feels an aura of happiness, under the surface.

"You made it! Bro, we were so worried!" Kingston fist pumps the air and Finn shoots a grin in his direction. But his eyes, trained on her. He can tell she knows. She looks wholly captivated, which almost wants to make him burst out laughing. But he doesn't; instead, he heads straight for her. He can tell she feels a little…exposed. Because everyone is witness to them, but he doesn't care.

And then he's standing right in front of her and he can smell her flowery perfume and see the glint of curiosity in her eyes. He makes a dangerous move and reaches for her hands, and to his comfort, she accepts. He steadies himself and looks at Emily, who gives him a supportive look.

"Listen," He starts. She realises the serious undertone in his light voice and observes the furrowing of his brows, so she doesn't cut him off. "I know this," He refers to their argument, "this isn't just about some stupid alarms. It's about everything I did wrong, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for hurting Amy," He makes she contact with her over her shoulder and she nods, "and I'm sorry for nearly ruining the friendship you have. I am sorry that I fell asleep and I'm sorry that I let the entire team down." He looks up at each and every one of them, the apology brimming in his eyes, "And most of all," he locks eyes with her, "I'm sorry for not being me. Because I haven't been. I've been…a jerk. And maybe it's because I was trying to get over you or because I was worried about competition or maybe because I felt so guilty for my actions and didn't know how to show it but none of those reasons justify it." She exhales, taking this all in. "I just, I hope you find a way to forgive me because I need you, Piper, and I'm in love with you." Her mouth drops open. "You, um, don't have to say anything."
"I, give me a second." She whispers. He doesn't realise it, but in his stress he starts lip-syncing to Fruity Moons. He watches as she heads over to a crate of Dancemania paperwork. She tips out the paperwork and arranges it neatly in a pile on the floor. She carries the crate to wear she was previously standing and steps up. She's now his height.

For an electrifying second, he thinks that she's going to kiss him, but she speaks.
"I hate what we did to Amy. I hate that you're here only now, and I hate that lately I haven't only had anxiety about myself, but you too." He swallows as his heart tears in half.
"I understand." He turns away.
"No!" She exclaims suddenly, reaching out. Her gentle hand touches his cheek and turns him back to face her. "But, last year, I thought everyone hated me." The team start to kick up a fuss to argue against her but she silences them. "I hated me. I didn't want to be here, I didn't want to be with people. But, you. You gave me a reason when the team wasn't enough because I didn't think I belonged. You, and your dumb jokes and your beautiful smile, gave me a reason." He didn't know it was possible to feel this good. "And yeah, you haven't been yourself. But I have overreacted and I have thought about my feelings a lot, and not yours. So, I'm sorry too." He shakes his head, why was she apologising?

She takes him by complete surprise. She's confident as she pulls him closer to her by his brown collar, her lips smashing against his. Kissing him again is…it fills her. Head to toe with bliss. She forgets about the team, and kisses him for still what feels like not long enough. He eventually pulls away.

"I am in love with you." She smiles. And then she spins around joyfully but doesn't consider the fact that she's standing on a crate so trips forward and he catches her just in time. As he holds her, he has not a single care in the world.

I apologise if your hopes are now too high because mine sure are. Whoops. Also, season 7 hasn't ended yet and I'm already having emotional withdrawals. I don't want this to end. If the show ends, it's sort of like my childhood ending. I just want to stay here. But also, there are good things in the future, hopefully.

On another note, WE HIT OVER 10 FREAKING K. OMG I COULDN'T BREATHE WHEN I SAW IT FOR THE FIRST TIME! I was so sure that I was dreaming. I genuinely do not deserve this, especially compared to some other writers on here . *cough* SummerDancer12376 Spring_dancer ellasd_ serenab0017 EzzaTNSFAN violet_mapleand COUNTLESS OTHERS, I will come round to mentioning everyone soon *cough* I just love this fandom and it's PURITY with my whole heart and am so grateful for the people and to be a part of it ♥️♥️ currently thinking of a way to thank you, coming soon.

Last note, you can now request couples/friendships/oneshot ideas in the comments. As long as I don't have a burning hate for the ship/concept, I'll write it :)