Mini-Boss Battle Round 2 +

Enter Player Name: Noah

The hall stretched endlessly ahead as I turned from Riley. The trace of sadness staining her smile clawed deep into my chest. Longing lingered behind those hazel orbs like an un-fully formed shadow, drowning out the brightness.

I was torn. There was nothing more I wanted than to turn and take her in my arms, but I knew there was unfinished business with Cynthia. And I could not move forward until I settled my past.

My guts twisted with nauseating guilt at Cynthia's shocked face. Betrayal dripped from her eyes like bloody tears, drawn from pain and loneliness. Our breakup came out of nowhere just months before our wedding, and then I was gone the next day. It wrecked the comfortable foundation we stood on, and that wasn't fair to her. I wasn't fair to her. At that time, I was selfish and only thought about the path I wanted to take.

I could never do that with Riley... be selfish with her. If Riley were mine, I would treasure her like the rare gem she is. I would be better than I was.

I turned the corner, and the vibrations of my mother's study door snapping shut pushed on the soles of my feet. My palm turned ice-cold as I held the cold-metal handle and took a deep breath. I owed Cynthia this much, I told myself, I'll search for Riley afterward.

The sturdy dark wood door creaked open as I entered.

A soft yellow ceiling light shone down on the bricked-seized books stacked like a jar of sardines into the wall-fitted bookshelves. It lit my mother as she stood behind her handcrafted modern wooden desk, commissioned by a small-local artist. Unaware of my entrance, she scoured through a pile of paperwork stacked waist high at the center.

There was no doubt that she was the mastermind behind this. Why else would Cynthia be here if not by my mother's own doing? I threw the door shut behind me.

The sound smacked through my mother. She snapped her neck up, eyes wide. "Noah! You scared me! Be careful how you close the door." Her shoulder slacked, and she let out a sigh of relief. Her slender fingers rubbed her temple as her eyes scanned all the open drawers. "Baby, have you seen my business cards? I can't seem to remember where I placed them and I need to make sure I can be reached back with business proposals."

"Jane," I grumbled, not hearing her question.

Her name crawled up my mother's neck like a venomous spider. Her face hardened, losing all trace of that motherly tenderness. "Yes, Noah?"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "May I ask what in the seven hells possessed you to invite Cynthia tonight?"

"Watch your mouth, Noah." Her soft blue eyes turn to hardened lava, scorching hot stone. "You may be older now, but I am still your mother."

I bit down the need to apologize. "Can you answer the question?"

"I hoped you would see her and reconcile." My mother placed her arms on her waist, making 5'4'' frame look as tall as a mountain. "Clearly" — her nose flared — "I didn't expect you to waltz in here with a new conquest."

Her words staked me to the cross. "Riley, is not a conquest," I nearly growled.

I choked down the words threatening to spill, remembering the respect I owed my mother. The thought of anyone referring to Riley like an afterthought boiled my blood. She was far too amazing. Too compassionate. Too breathtaking...

My mother pointed her nose up, branding my action beneath her. "So, you're telling me you have not reverted back to your whorish ways?"

My past tightened around my throat like a rope, making it harder to speak. "Those are harsh words to use for your son."