BOSS BATTLE ROUND 2: DAD

Enter Player Name: Riley

My fingers were white from the lack of blood. Each one of my hands, clung to the other nervously, restricting oxygen from my fingertips. I mauled over all the possible ways that my conversation with Noah's mother could turn sour. She, on the other hand, hummed a song under her breath as she prepared some coffee.

"Would you like any help, Ms. Jane?" I asked.

"No, I got it." She insisted as she placed the pot on the stove.

I looked around the kitchen. To say it looked glamorous was an understatement. The cabinets were an opaque white that enhanced the shine of the stainless steel appliances. The kitchen island, where my hands rested, was made of marble. Not a single scratch could be seen on its pristine surface. Next to the fridge was a separate clear screen door merged into the wall; countless bottles of vintage wine were stacked within it.

"Would you like a glass of wine instead?" Ms. Jane asked.

"Ahh, no, thank you. Noah says I drink too much when I am stressed, so I am trying to watch it a smidgen."

"For me, it was cigarettes," she laughed.

"You used to smoke?"

"Back in the day, before I had Noah. I have now ironically switched to a single glass of wine. So your problem is my solution. But, anyway, what has you stressed, Riley."

"You?" The unsureness behind my voice made Jane chuckle. "I assume you want to talk about the other day?"

"Cutting to the chase, I see."

"You don't seem like the type of woman that dances around things."

"Indeed. So I will state things bluntly. I am concerned about your relationship with Noah."

"Because you think I am a 'gold-digging whore'?" I asked as I met her gaze. Ms. Jane seemed to shift uncomfortably for a fraction of a second before she recovered her composure. At least one thing was evident, she was not expecting my bluntness.

"I admit, I did not handle that well. But Noah is my only son, so I would do anything to protect him if I thought someone was trying to harm him or take advantage of him. So I apologize for insulting you, but I do not apologize for protecting my son."

"I understand. I think in your position, with the information you had, I would have done the same. I do hope I would have left out some of those words, though."

We both chuckle. At some level, we both found comic relief in laughing at the past.

"Noah already explained to me the circumstances behind why you were on that site. I still would like to hear about it from you?"

"There is not much to explain. I honestly do not want to talk to you about it. Not because it is something that I want to hide, but because I don't want to be judged based on that. I think you would understand the sentiment of doing anything to protect your family. So like you don't apologize for being a protective mom, I don't apologize for taking care of my brothers."

"My father spent his final days in prison."

"Oh...I'm so..."

She raised her hands and stopped my words at the root of my mouth, "no need for pity. It is the reason I am here today."

"What do you mean?"

"Back when I was young, my family and I did not have much to show in terms of wealth. Yet, my father worked so hard to make sure we had what we needed at least. He would say, 'someday, you will have everything you deserve.' I never thought he would do illegal things to ensure his words would come true. But with the money he earned, I was able to go to college. I worked hard to build everything I have today. Because... I know... that my father gave up his freedom for me to do so." - her voice trembled slightly- "So if you are worried that I will judge for actions you took to care for you brothers, don't."