Aftermatch

Enter Player Name: Noah

"Riley, is everything okay?" I asked as I approached her. Confused at what had caused that pained look in her eyes. I tried to cradle her arms, to comfort her, but as soon as our skin made contact, she stepped away.

"Umm...yeah, just the onion's got into my eye... I... umm, I need a second to wash my face. Can I...umm... go to the bathroom?" She looked around the room as if looking for a route to escape.

I was lost as to what had happened. Onions could explain tears, but not the way her face slightly contorted in pain. The look of complete devastation. "Yeah, do you want me to show you?"

"No, I remember."

Before I could say anything further, Riley rushed past me. Her head hung low. All of our questioning looks were evaded and dismissed. When she had to pass by my father, her body tensed. Despite the fact that he had moved out the way, Riley almost crashed into the wooden door frame as she walked as far away from him as possible.

"Let's get this cleaned up while she freshens up." My mother snapped her hands together — an attempt to snap the room back to life. Yet, the atmosphere felt heavy. Awkward. At least I did.

In silence, we cleaned the spilled potatoes, which were now rendered useless for dinner. The fall had cracked their softened boiled skins open, allowing their insides to spread everywhere. My mother lamented not being able to make the planned potato salad.

We waited. Yet time passed and Riley had not returned. Eventually, we began to set the table for dinner.

"Noah, why don't you go check on Riley while we finish up here?"

"Sure, mom," I said. I walked out of the kitchen and made my way to the nearest bathroom. The sound of running water alerted me that Riley was inside.

"Riley? Are you in there?" I knocked twice.

I shuffled in my feat, uncomfortably waiting for any sign of life. Eventually, a muffled and rough voice came from inside. "Yeah, just a second."

The sound of running water stopped, and Riley exited into the hallway. She held a slight smile on her face, but it looked like a struggle to keep in place. There were light red circles around her eyes.

"Are you sure you are okay?" I asked.

"Yeah."

I wanted to ask again, but her look stopped me. In a silent gaze, she communicated her desire to walk away. "Dinner is ready. We can wait a bit before walking over?"

"No. It's fine." She said. Cut and dry.

"Okay." Typically I would have offered her my arm in an over-the-top gesture. But her unwavering posture told me she wouldn't find it amusing this time.

We made our way through the corridors until we arrived at the dining room. The table was set at the center. The room at times felt more like a green-house than a place for dinner. One of its walls was made entirely of glass. It gave a perfect look into the gardens, which had begun to turn various shades with the coming season. Within, different species of tropical plants decorated the edges of the room. A chandelier hung from the center and illuminated the flowers down below. On the table, shiny silverware was neatly placed around china plates. In between the freshly cooked food were candles and flower arrangements. No detail had been overlooked.

"Noah! Riley! You finally made it in. We were beginning to worry," my mother exclaimed from the head of the table. Opposite to her was my father. Jay and Mikey sat patiently at the right edge. That left the window glass wall seats open for Riley and me.