Compile Error

Enter Player Name: Riley

The sun was barely visible behind the city skyline. Yet, it still cloaked the landscape with a warm blanket. The way it swirled with light until its edges began to turn dark, was memorizing. It was a beautiful sunset. Warm against my skin. But, still, I felt cold inside.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I finally turned around to look at Noah. He stood a few feet away, his weight rested on the low lying table. Behind him was the door to the roof.

I had to stop my mind from wandering to the time we had previously spent here. Yet the images of that night flooded my mind. After learning that I liked space, Noah had transformed the table into a bed with the help of a futon. Rose petals had covered the cement floor. That night, under a light cover, we fell asleep in each other's arms as we watched the stars.

"I wanted to talk to you before I left," Noah said.

The events of earlier today rushed to my mind. I was walking back Mikey from school when we ran into Noah packing and moving all his stuff down the stairs. It felt like replaying the day we met in reverse. Worst of all was how Mikey took it. It hurt to hear him asked why everyone he liked always left.

"Where are you moving to?" I told myself I didn't care. That it didn't matter if he was moving on with his life.

"I found a place close by work," he answered, his eyes still looked down at the floor.

"Good. You will be able to focus on your startup."

"Yeah," he seemed to be hoping for another answer. Perhaps, he had expected some type of sign that I didn't want him to go. But I made sure to put those thoughts aside long before I walked up to this roof. "But that's not important. I wanted to give you something before I left." He pulled a black business card out of his pocket.

Out of curiosity, I took it in my hands. When I saw the name written on it, I held it back out. "I don't want it."

He made no move to take it back. "I understand why you would be apprehensive about speaking to him. But, he knows the judge that has your case assigned. He can help."

I stared at the piece of paper in my hand. It ruffled. Its perfect shiny black surface cracking as I hold onto it tight. But as much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to rip it apart. I bit my lip, trying to choke back the tears that wanted to spill out.

Noah's hand briefly brushed my skin. A test to see if I would push him away. But, the emotions that swirled inside me prevented me from moving. I felt so much, and at the same time, I felt nothing.

His hand continued up my arms. It gave me warmth. Eventually, they reached my head, and he cradled it in his hand. Gently, he tilted my head until our eyes locked for the first time. Had his eyes always been this green?

"Riley, I am so sorry that you are hurting. I wish I could make it stop. But, even if you never forgive my father or stop seeing me as the son of the man that broke your family apart, please accept his help. Although this won't change the past, it could change your future. You deserve so much more than what life has dealt you. Just think about it, okay." He took a deep breath. "Before I leave, there is one thing I need to tell you. I have no right to, but if tonight is the last time I see you... I need you to know that I... I... love you."

"Noah..." I shook my head slightly in his hands. His words buried themselves deep into my heart.

"It's okay, I have accepted I will never be able to hear those words back. I just needed to tell you... so that I could let you go." Noah's forehead rested against mine. "If I can be selfish one last time Riley, can I get one kiss?"